A Mana Vow

After waiting for several hours, Aeris snuck into the city through a back gate and raced towards the place where the king had told me to go. There he found the king and his son waiting.

        "No! I will not have this jerk be my bodyguard." the son said as Aeris approached them.

         "Listen, you are weak, and your father is getting old so there will be plots to assassinate you. You are the heir. Now, shut up, the adults are talking," The dragon condescendingly told the prince.

         "I am the same age as you," the prince grumbled after which he quieted down.

          "Let's go, I would rather not be sitting out in the cold for too long," Aeris told the king.

         He nodded and gestured as he called over his shoulder, "Follow me, I know a place for the ritual."

          Together they walked into the castle. To their left, there was a large spiral staircase that seemed to descend endlessly into the dark abyss below. The king led everyone down the staircase for what felt like hours, stopping only to shush the grumbles and complaints of the prince. Once they reached the bottom, a long snaking hallway that led deep into the recesses of the castle appeared. Gradually, the hallway widened into a large room. It seemed to be a panic room in case of an attack.

        "This is the safest place we can be. Are you ready?" The king said calmly. However, the prince just looked confused.

       "Is he ready for what, Dad?" Asked the cluelessly stupid prince.

       "I'm ready, but is he? The ritual is... well it's complicated. I can only go so far alone," Aeris answered while the king grabbed out a few items, mainly a few candles and some chalk.

        "He is ready. Listen, my son, whatever happens during the ritual you go along, no matter what," The king earnestly conveyed to his son.

       "Ok, Dad, but I will require an explanation afterwards," The prince reluctantly