Actions

"Aren't you gonna answer it?" The all-too familiar voice awoke Maya from her gaze, as she jumped in fright.

"And you said that you're not scared of me anymore." He chuckled.

Maya sighed in relief when she saw his face, and clicked 'Decline'. "Uhh- N-No, no. It's nobody."

Lucas nodded before he continued to speak. "Why did you run off earlier? I wasn't done talking to you."

"Well I was." She faked a smile, beginning to take off again.

"Oh, no you don't." He gently grabbed her wrist. "You can't keep running away."

Maya took a gulp and inhaled deeply, speaking quietly and weakly. "W-What are you talking about?"

"You can't do this. You have to face the truth some time." Lucas sternly told her.

"I-I don't know what you're saying..." Her eyes widened.

"Maya, you can't run away forever." He took a step closer, her heartbreaking increasing rapidly.

"Yes, I can." She spoke up.

"You need to talk to me." Lucas insisted.

"No." Maya shrugged him off.

"Please?" He stared deep into her eyes.

"No, I don't need to tell you anything. This has nothing to do with you. They found a home for you. I had to stay there, alone, for five years after you left. Yes, I hated you, but you were my only friend. I was alone and sad. What else was I supposed to do?" Maya had finally cracked.

Lucas raised an eyebrow, "What are you talking about, Blondie?"

"What are you talking about?" She hesitantly spoke, realising that she must have got the wrong end of the stick.

Lucas frowned at her, and slowly spoke. "I haven't seen you for like six, seven years, you can't just run off when I'm trying to catch up with you."

Maya let it sink in, then smiled. Her secret was still safe.

"Oh! Yeah, yeah. I knew that's what you were talking about." Her voice went high as she nodded her head vigorously.

"What were you talking-" He unwarily spoke, suspicious of his long-lost friend.

"No, no. I mean, yeah that's what I was talking about too!" She spoke quickly and continuously giggled. "Sorry for running away... from you. What do you want to know, old pal, buddy, chum,-"

Her rambling grinded to a halt as Lucas cut her off.

"Whoa, whoa, slow down there, Blondie." He chuckled, and then smiled, "If I take you to your class will you stop talking?"

"Oh, right. Yeah." Maya bit her lip, beginning to walk with him.

"Wait, I'll take you to class if you answer my questions." He stopped walking.

"What kind of questions?" She turned around to look at him.

"Just a few questions to catch up with you." Lucas smiled. "Don't worry you don't have to answer the ones that make you feel uncomfortable."

Maya thought about it for a second, before nodding. "Deal."

As they walked to class, the conversation was friendly. They reminisced their childhood, and joked about their memories together, good and bad. This wasn't so bad. Maybe Lucas Friar had changed.

"Remember when we snuck out into the streets after dark together, and the police were crawling the streets of Philadelphia looking for us?" Lucas laughed, remembering the good times.