eighteen

Brett gave me one hard pat on the back before we broke ways and he met up with his football buddies. Logan waved to a girl who called him over and he left without a goodbye. I went straight to my locker to get my English book out. I haven't spent much time studying and the essay on my dad was eventually filled with random information since he can't care to be at home.

I haven't seen Paris in a week and that all started after I signed up for hockey tryouts. I was beyond nervous about what was to come. I have to prove I can skate and knock a guy out after school. It was a sport I hadn't played since I was a freshman with too much on my plate. I had to choose between academics and athletics. Of course, I didn't choose what I hated.

"Ryan..." I turned to the sound of someone saying my name with dread. It was Alyssa. "I don't want to be the one to bring it up since your friends clearly haven't, but I think you should opt-out of the tryouts after school." Her grin told me she was nervous and it took a lot to even come up and talk to me. "You just don't have what it takes. Plus, the season is really going to kick off next semester and we already have a lead."

I scoffed while slowly closing my locker so I could ease my way to my class without missing a beat. "Are you saying I'm going to put us back?" She shrugged softly. "I finally decided to do something I haven't done in forever and you are the first person to try and talk me out of it."

"It's not anything negative. I'm just trying to be a good-"

"Girlfriend? Because you're not even that anymore." I walked past her with a frown on my face. It was the fact that she dared to try and suggest anything to me after dumping me at my brother's wedding and then putting my business out to the whole school.

"...friend." I stopped walking the moment that word escaped her mouth. "I know you are upset today and maybe I should have started this conversation out differently. I didn't think you had genuine feelings for Paris. I figured you were joining the team to relieve some anger that finding out she got back with her ex might of caused." I quickly turned on my heels to see Alyssa staring down at the books in her arms as she pouted. "I just thought you would have wanted someone in your corner to keep your head on straight."

"She what?" That is all I could spit out despite everything else that was said. "No way. Whoever that man is... she is not with him. She has just been busy. She texted me and told me she was busy all last week. You're just trying to... ruin everything."

Alyssa took a few steps closer to me with a sympathetic look on her face. She tilted her head to the side slightly and smiled gently. "You didn't know, huh?" I gulped when her small smile turned into a grin. "Yeah... I am so sorry. She is definitely back with Andre. Matter of fact, he asked her out after the party."

"Andre?!" I rolled my eyes and forced a smile on my face in disbelief. "She's been dating Andre?" I took one look around and for some reason I felt like everyone was laughing at me. I was the fool of the school. "Listen, Alyssa, I don't even care. I'm just... where is she? Have you seen her?"

"No. But she will be at the game this weekend." She shrugged off with a hair toss just as her friend passed us by. I watched them go before heading to my own class.

I didn't make it far when I ran into Paris who was standing off to the side of the hall and on her phone. I stopped right in front of her which caused her to look up at me. Her eyes widened while mine squinted. "Ryan..." Her smile was soft yet filled with nervousness. "How- how have you been?"

"Save it. What the hell is going on. With us specifically. Screw Andre. I could really tell you a lot about that guy but I doubt you'd really care." I rolled my eyes right back to her.

She shrugged with a groan then tucked her phone away. "We were nothing, Ryan. You had free time and I had no time which it kind of aligned and it worked out. Now you're doing what you said you hate and I realized I can't keep going in with this thing if I don't know who you are."

I scoffed in disbelief. "Some nerve you have! You barely share anything about yourself to me and I tucked that shit to the side. I had to learn about you from other people including the fact you're back with your ex! Was I just a rebound?"

"Don't think of it like that Ryan."

"I was never meant to be that way. The way everyone wanted me to be. And it feels like you're the first person to understand that." She sighed. "You never pressured me or made me feel like crap and I've been trying to erase these feelings but I'm not okay with being your fuck buddy. Damn it, Paris. I wanted so much more."

The bell rung over our heads which startled her. "I- I can't give you that. Just enjoy your life, Ryan. I can't be late."

And with that, she left me standing in G hall.