5

"Why are we going to a Grizzlies game again?"

Brooklyn gave Malia a look, watching her sling the purse over her shoulder. She and Desmond had to go back to Milwaukee in a few days but before they left, Brook wanted to make sure Malia was taking a step in the right direction.

"Your therapist said don't forget to do things you love."

Malia let out a breath. "No, I hate basketball. I only liked watching Ja play and we're not even together anymore."

"You could still be a supportive friend."

"I know." She and Brooklyn walked side by side down the hallway of her apartment building. "Is he doing okay?"

Brooklyn offered a short laugh, fishing in her bag for lip gloss. "Not at all. You broke his heart, Malia but he understands."

Brooklyn, of all people, knew what it was like for both Malia and Ja. It was tough to see them broken up but in a strange way, their lives had been much more productive.

Before the production, though, Ja was a mess if anyone couldn't tell.

After that fateful, but levelheaded, conversation with Malia, Ja left her apartment. He opted to talk to her in the evening so Ja could take the nighttime flight to his next game.

Ja took the night flight for a reason. So, he could sit there in that hurt. The guard sat amongst talkative crowds and silent sleepers, unsure of which was worse.

Malia dropped his hand while they stood in the middle of her living area, slowly and sadly shaking her head. She'd went to her bedroom, leaving him out there standing. Ja knew she would do it and he didn't blame her.

Now, a short 2 weeks later, Ja Morant was on an absolute tear through the NBA.

The guard was on a 6 game stretch of 40 or more points, the Grizzlies going undefeated in those games. Ja didn't want to drink so he put his heart and soul into basketball, ignoring the issues in his current life.

The worse part for Ja was that he always thought that next time he was standing in front of Malia, holding her hands, it would be to drop down to a knee and propose. He'd bought a ring before the fire, but now had it stored away in the back of his closet.

"He's doing good at basketball."

Brooklyn shrugged, thinking of that very ring that she helped Ja pick out.

He'd told his friends and family about the ring for a reason. Ja just couldn't keep it in. TeNiya had plans to buy the biggest and most expensive bottle of champagne she could find but alas, no one was celebrating.

Worth the price of the ring or not, Ja bought it. Not a single friend of theirs could applaud seeing as they each had front row seats of the show titled: Malia and Ja's Fall From Grace.

"They play the Pistons so it'll probably be a boring game." Brooklyn said as they made their way through the arena. "It's okay because at least you're here."

Malia thought briefly about how break up rumors between she and Ja were circulating the internet as they spoke. Fans and media came to that conclusion when Ja took pictures of he and Malia down.

"Yeah." She says. "I wonder if-"

"What's good, stranger?"

Malia made eye contact with Killian Hayes, who she'd only seen at a strip club and at a Grizzlies home game a few seasons ago. He'd looked so young then but now he actually looked older.

"Hi." She smiled politely, watching Brooklyn mindlessly walk ahead of her. "How are you?"

Killian chuckled. "I'm straight. Hope you doin' aight. Aye, let Ja know it's always a pleasure to go up against some of the best."