Chapter 7- Bahrain

Eliana:
Today is Quali. I honestly can't tell you how I feel. I'm excited that it's nearly my first race day, but I'm scared for what's gonna happen. In free practice 1 and 2 yesterday, the car was... it was okay. As well as we could expect (Lando gave me the debrief about the car this morning) but not nearly as well as we thought. FP3 this morning was better, they got new data for both Lando and Oscar and were able to lower the floor a tad without breaking regulations. So hopefully this gives them more downforce, and a quicker race.

I've just been watching from inside the garage as the boys get sent out to do their hot laps for Q1. The atmosphere is unreal, and it feels amazing to be able to hear what's happening through the headsets. Lando and Oscar are low on the time-sheet, with Lando at P17 and Oscar at P16 and so with 1:30 left in Q1, Lando sends his final lap, with Oscar following suit a few seconds later. Everyone in the garage holds their breaths as we watch them go round the track. Lando crosses the line and his name jumps up to P13.
"YES!" The whole garage screams. It's not where they want to be, but it's good enough.
I turn to Scarlet, who I'm stood with in the garage, and we both grin at each other.
Oscar finishes his lap after, and his name jumps to P15, the garage yelling again. I bite my lip in anticipation, I know they're not going to be happy, but they got into Q2, so it's all that matters, right?

They both get knocked out of Q2. Lando was 3 tenths away from getting P10 and getting into Q1, and Oscar was P10, but his lap time got deleted after he exceeded track limits. Safe to say they're both going to be pissed, and for right reason. But I don't know if I can deal with that on my first weekend.

When their cars get wheeled back into the garage I leave and  go and stand near Lando's driver room so that I don't have to see either of them straight away. A cowards move? Maybe, but it's one I'm willing to take. Too much negative energy ruins my vibes, and Liv wouldn't be happy if my first race was a bad one, so I do this for her. I'll let Lando have a cool down to release some of his anger, then I have to take him to some interviews, that he'll probably try and avoid anyways.

I'm just on my phone sorting out some pictures I'm going to send to Lando to post when he comes round the corner.

"Hey." He says, clearly angry.

"Hey, no need to explain. Go cool down and then I'll take you to the interviews in 5." I gently smile to him.

He just gives me a tight-lipped smile in return and slinks into his driver room. I get what it feels like to be told something is going to be great, then have it just... not be. It's heartbreaking in a way no one can understand.

As I'm waiting for Lando I hear footsteps inching closer to me, which makes me look up.

"Can I help?" I ask without any of the kindness I just showed Lando.

Oscar just stares at me for a second, tongue in his cheek, then lowers his head to the floor, lightly shaking it, a small smirk on his face. What the fuck was that for? His driver door clicks shut as he leaves me cold in the hallway. I'm still staring at the ghost of Oscar when I hear Lando's door open, and see him dressed in jeans and a McLaren hoodie. That man and his hoodies.

I cough to clear my throat, "All ready?"

"Let's get this over with."

The interviews went as well as expected, which is not that well at all. Lando got bombarded with questions not even relevant to qualifying today, and then some insensitive questions about Oscar. He handled them well, though, so I'm proud. He made my job easier too. It was fun standing next to him, eavesdropping on all the other drivers' interviews. But that must be because I'm nosey.

After the interviews were done, I gave Lando the all good to do what he wants, since my job was done for the day. He probably has debriefing to go to, but I don't, so I'm free for the rest of the day.
Before I meet up with Scarlet and Cody to go back to the hotel, I run into hospitality to grab something to eat and a drink for on-the-go. I order a croissant and a green tea to have in the car ride since I didn't have much to eat earlier. I'm just standing there, chatting to the barista when I feel the back of my neck prickle. I turn around and scan hospitality to see if anyone is staring at me. I'm sure it's nothing, so I go to turn around and get my stuff when my eyes catch on someone in the corner. I stiffen when my eyes attach to his, and almost like a tripwire, he gets up and walks out. I breath out slowly and follow his movements as he leaves, turning to pick up my tea and croissant when he's out of my view.