MISUNDERSTANDING

It was the morning after her valima and Meerab was in her room lost in thoughts. Her mood was sour remembering everything that happened at the night. She didn't commit a crime to be punished or insulted like that in front of all those unknown people. She was feeling happy so she just danced with them. Was it so big of a crime? She even had an argument with Murtasim and didn't even talk to him. On top of that she lost her appetite seconds after appearing at the dining area for breakfast when she overheard Haya's statement that Murtasim went to the village early morning eating the breakfast made by his dearest cousin. She rushed to her room and informed Feena, one of the servants that she wouldn't be having her breakfast as she had a headache.

She had never liked Haya. As far as she remembered they had never really gotten along with each other and she was okay with that. She also knew that Haya had some kind of weird obsession with Murtasim and she really didn't care about that too. But after the wedding, she just couldn't tolerate whenever Haya tried to talk about Murtasim or tried to show off that she knew him better. Meerab was frustrated with herself that why was she even thinking about all this.

She came in her senses hearing a knock on the door. "Feena, I've already told you I am not coming for breakfast. Please aap jayein yahan se".

"Meerab", as soon as she heard the voice her head turned towards the door as her parents appear in front of her eyes. "Mama, baba", her eyes glistened seeing them. She got up and hugged them one by one. "Ab to app khush hain na? Ab to nahi kahenge na maine kabhi aapke bare mein nahi bas apne bare mein socha?" She complained like a child.

"Meri bachchi", Waqas wiped the tears that were continuously flowing from her eyes and placed his hands on her head. "Humein maaf kar do beta. We didn't have any other option. Have you ever thought what would have happened if we refused this proposal and these people caged you inside this haveli claiming their rights on you? We could have done nothing because everyone was aware of the fact that you are, eventually, a Khan. Kaise rehte hum tumhare bina? Ab kamse kam hum tumse mil to sakte hain. Hum sab ke liye yehi achcha hai beta." His helplessness laced in his voice.

"Meerab, Murtasim bohut achcha hai beta. Usko aur apne rishte ko thoda waqt do aur Allah pe bharosa rakho. Dekhna Allah behtar karega." Her mother gave her courage and wiped her tears before leaving for Karachi.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 

Murtasim had finally returned home after 4 days. He went to the village next day of his valima as Malik Zubair had again created problems and Murtasim was needed at the panchayat to solve the matter. He didn't want to go without conversing with Meerab. He wanted to make sure that she was okay after their argument on the valima night but he had his responsibilities towards his people. He hadn't met or talked to her for 96 hours and honestly it didn't help him in his work.

He sighed looking around the house in complete darkness. He approached towards his room and saw the lights were still on. "Is she awake?" was his first thought. He marched towards his room with hurried footsteps only to be bestowed upon with the most serene sight ever. Meerab was sleeping on the bed in the cutest manner. Her head slightly fell down from the pillow, her lips adorned with an adorable pout and her one hand stretched to his side of the bed. He couldn't control a chuckle from his lips. He slowly put her head on the pillow and covered her body with the yellow duvet. He was going towards his closet to change but stopped in his track as a series of questions popped up in his mind. How did she end up sleeping like this? Was she waiting for him? But how could she know that he would come back today? On top of that she was so upset with him that she didn't even call him once. "Not that you had called" his mind mocked him. He kept looking at her peaceful innocent face before remembering their argument at the valima night.