Bloodied Roses

To say Jake Sully was angry was an understatement. He was beyond furious. Disappointed, even. Neteyam, his eldest son, is about to be an adult in about a month (or is it two? Jake always gets mixed up with his children's birthdays). Neteyam should know better and get home on time. Heck, Jake would expect this from Lo'ak or even Kiri before deeming it to be Neteyam. It was just so out of character.

His kids are growing up, and he's getting too old to be chasing their impetuous asses whenever they wouldn't listen. Jake didn't want them to discover the harsh realities the world had to offer the hard way.

Jake sat on a chair on the front porch. He held his third warm cup of coffee in his right hand. The man refused to go to bed until Neteyam finally showed up, not wishing to waste a second. His blood sugar was probably through the roof.

The time turned from one-thirty to two to two-fifteen before worry laced with annoyance settled in the pit of his stomach. He had called Neteyam and obtained silence in return. That kid was going to get chewed when he arrived.

Two-fifteen to two-twenty to two-thirty. Jake's eyelids shortly fluttered shut. He posed straighter, feeling satisfied as his back popped (a sound gradually becoming typical).

Jake mentally wandered through the fields of apprehension, only stopping to sniff the nostalgic flowers.

His phone buzzed in the pocket of his puffy jacket. Jake prayed that it was Neteyam. To his dismay, it wasn't. It was his irksome co-worker, Steve, instead. Jake's thin lips curled downwards. Didn't Steve know that Jake had clocked out hours before, reaching home at his standard time? Should he respond and possibly endure hours of Steve's stupid rants, or should he pretend not to notice the call and lie to him on Monday?

The American sighed, deciding to suck it up and deal with it. Sitting outside was getting cold and dull. Reluctantly, Jake clicked the green answer button and held the frigid phone to his ear. Goosebumps erupted over his skin as he involuntarily shivered.

"Yes, Steve?" Jake demanded. "What is it you so desperately need to tell me?"

"There's a car crash on 180th Street; me and the rest of the team are on our way. That's close to where you live, right?" Steve reported. "Bystanders think there's one survivor, but there could be more,"

Jake soughed heavily, expelling a puff of cold smoke. "Are you sure you can't handle this without me?"

"...Yeah."

Jake exhaled again, regretting the decision to pick up the phone. He concluded the call promptly before Steve could get the chance to prattle. Steve would've just bothered someone else instead. He slowly got up, his knees and ankles cracking loudly as he steered inside. Jake lazily slid his wallet into his jacket pocket and fastened his police badge. Even in the dark, its golden and pristine glimmer shone, courtesy of Jake's wont to keep it unstained.

The man entered the room where his wife, Neytiri, was fast asleep. She was negligibly stricter than Jake was with the kids and determined she would have a heart-to-heart conversation with Neteyam the subsequent day. Jake bent down and lightly kissed Neytiri's soft, dark cheek.