Chapter 1: Aly

Katie flipped her long blonde hair as she rummaged through her purse. "Let's swing by this store and grab some drinks."

With a smile, Ashley turns to me. "What do you want?" Her bright white teeth gleamed against her warm Latina complexion.

As I hesitate, glancing at my phone, the realization strikes: Okay, it's already 10:30 pm? Time flies.

We all get out of the small silver car and head into the local grocery store. There we are, staring at a long shelf of drink options. Coke, Pepsi, Gatorade, you name it. I can't seem to make up my mind but suddenly loud laughter coming from a distance interrupts my procrastination. I happen to see a group of high school-aged guys heading towards a different aisle. They're all cute. Especially the tall one.

Katie nudges me and says, "Hello?! Aly?! Pick one out!"

I quickly respond, "Oh yeah sorry," and randomly pick some fruity pineapple drink. Whatever. I am curious to know who those guys were.

We head to the checkout, and I see two of the guys start heading toward the door to exit the store while their other friend is in front of us checking out. I kept my head low and waited patiently until it was my turn to check out. I quickly scanned my items, paid, and caught up with Ashley and Katie.

I am intrigued to know who they are. I have never seen them around my small town before. They can't be much older or younger than me. I bet they go to another school. But why are they on this side of the town?

Katie starts to head toward the exit and says, "Okay girls, in honor of Aly's 18th birthday and starting our Senior year soon, let's get out of here and get this party started!"

"Katie, Ashley, who are those guys up ahead?" I ask, completely ignoring Katie.

"They must go to another school, so I don't know," Ashley replies as she is swinging the grocery bags back and forth.

I couldn't help but become more curious. We are now outside, in the humid summer heat, under the dark sky. Only the bright stars and parking lot lights are helping us see ahead. As I saw the boys approach their car, I noticed they aren't parked too far from us.

I clear my throat and muster up any confidence I had stuffed deep inside of me.

I look at Ashley and then Katie. "Okay, I'm going for it."

I quickly start to pick up my pace. Next thing you know I am by Ashley's car and I walk right by it.

In a loud and sassy whisper, Katie says "Where are you going?!"

I looked behind me as I kept walking while smiling and shrugging my shoulders. I can tell the girls are intrigued by my sudden confidence to go talk with this group of guys.

"Hey, don't I know you?" I call out confidently, though I don't recognize any of them. As I approach their car, I notice the taller guy getting in, leaving the door open. Another tall guy walks toward me, though he is also handsome, he is not the one I was hoping to speak with. Glancing beside me, I see Ashley and Katie standing close by.

The guy with reddish hair walking towards me speaks up. "uh... nope. Who are you? And who.. Are.. you?" he says flirtatiously to Katie.

Katie smiles. Ashley giggles.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I knew you. I'm Aly! What school do you guys go to?"

Another guy from the other side of the car and says, "I'm Alex. I play football and go to the same school as them."

"I'm Rain..." says the one who seems interested in Katie.

"Like Rain, like the weather?" Katie tilts her head. "cute."