༺𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏༻

You were awakened by the gentle feeling of your mother's hands on your back, shaking you. You shifted sleepily, you're eyes just barely opening.

"Y/n, dear," She spoke softly, moving her hands before placing them back, seeing how you weren't getting up. "Are you really going to sleep in on you're special day?" She asked, a warm smile forming on her lips.

You stirred, you're eyes opening fully at the sound of the words, 'You're special day'. It was your birthday and you would be turning 13 this year. You sat up and stretched, yawning.

"No way would I miss my birthday!" You said excitedly, a big grin forming on you're face.

"That's my girl." You're mother said with a smile, ruffling your hair. "Now get up and and wash you're face, I have a surprise waiting for you in the kitchen." She whispered before rising to her feet. "And don't forget to fold up you're futon." She continued as she turned and left you're room.

As the door closed behind her, a surge of excitement rushed through your veins and you sprung up, hurriedly rolled up you're futon. It wasn't neat and it looked sloppy, but you were so eager to see what you had gotten, you didn't really care.

Besides, it's not like Mother ever actually checked.

Once done, you walked over to the small pillow on the floor where you're folded kimono laid and stripped out of you're night clothes.

After spending a few impatient minutes getting dressed, you quickly folded your night clothes and placed them next to you're messy, rolled up futon and dash to find you're mother and get you're surprise.

You ran through the narrow hallway of you're minka, briefly peeking into each room before turning into the kitchen where you bumped into someone. You took a step back, rubbing your forehead.

"Oh sorry mama-" You're words were stopped suddenly by a tall, overweight man turning around and peering down at you. "Watch where you're going." He said gruffly. You stared up at him, taking in his appearance, about to run away and scream for you're mother, but she walked in looking slightly concerned and a little bit annoyed.

"Y/n, dear I told you not to run inside!" She scolded gently, walking towards you, her eyes scanning you. "I can tell you rushed, you're kimono is a mess..." She murmured, kneeling down and fixing it.

You're eyes were glued to the strange man looming over you're mother and you, a slight ping of fear and confusion etching out on you're face. "There, all neat and tidy." She spoke softly, her hands running over the front of you're kimono before she straightened up.

"Mama...who's that?" You mumbled, your voice quiet, not wanting the man to hear you. Your mother turned her head to look back at the man, who looked like he had a permanent scowl, and a faint blush and shy smile formed on her face. She cleared her throat.

"This is-" She was cut off by the man. "I'm her new husband." He said lowly, his voice so rough it sounded like he had a perched throat.

Your eyes widened, you were young but that didn't mean you didn't know what a husband was. You're eyes darted between them, you had never met this man in you're life, much less ever seen him.

"Yes, that's right sweetie he's my husband." You're mother said, reaching out and holding the man's hand. "Happy birthday."

Happy birthday? Hopefully this wasn't her idea of a birthday present.

These thoughts ran through you're head as the man extended his free hand towards you. "My name is Dai Tanaka, but you can call me sir. It well be a long time before you earn the right to call me father." He said dryly.

Why in the world would I want to call you father?

You didn't shake his hand. You looked over at you're mother whose expression was softening. "Oh dear, I know this is a bit sudden but it's a small change that will help our little family out greatly." She said softly, leaning down and taking your hands in hers and speaking in a whisper only you could hear.

"Dai is a good man, trust me. He may look scary but he's the sweetest when you get to know him." She kissed you're cheek and stood back up. "Well, why don't we have breakfast, we'll tell you how we met at the table." You're mother said, grabbing Dai's hand again and leading him to the table, where they were both sat down.

You stayed still for a few moments before walking over and slowly sitting down across from them on you're zabuton pillow.

You're mother took a deep breath and rested her hand on Dai's shoulder. "We met a while back, around a year and a half ago."

"When I was 12?" You asked even though the answer was obvious. "Yes, exactly." She cleared her throat once more. "Ok, that day when we went into the city for rice, and you couldn't find me for a few minutes, remember?"

You nodded. "Yes I remember." You mumbled, steeling glances at the stranger sitting across from you.

You're mother looked down, her cheeks turning a deeper shade of pink. "Well I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I had got distracted by the sight of Dai and wondered off to go talk to him."

So you left me to talk to some random man?

"Oh..." You glanced at Dai, who was staring at you with a straight face. He looked kinda scary... "But don't worry, I found you so it all worked out in the end!" You're mother said, giving you a loving smile.

A few awkward minutes of silence passed before You're mother stood up. "I think the vegetables have boiled down for the miso soup." She walked out of the minka and went outside to check the fire, leaving you alone with Dai.

"I'm Y/n-." He cut you off. "I know your name. You're mother wouldn't stop talking about you when we were courting each other." Dai sighed, rubbing his temples. "Jesus that woman can talk." He muttered before looking back at you, crossing his arms over his large chest. "Today's you're birthday, huh?"

You nodded. "Yes...sir." His eyes narrowed. "You're 13 years old, a woman." You felt a wave of unease as he said that. "Hopefully when you're little body becomes more developed, you look better than you're mother." He said, his eyes briefly looking over you're upper half.

"You're mother has no meat on her bones, and she looks sickly, but you...you on the other hand, are curvy, and your unusual skin tone adds to it." You felt disgusted and a bit angry in how he was describing you and you're mother. And you're skin, it wasn't unusual...was it?

Dai leaned over, his hand reaching across the table to briefly caress you're hair. "Absolutely lovely." He whispered before retracting his hand as your mother walked in, holding two bowls of miso soup. "All done!" She said warmly, placing them in front of you and Dai and sitting back down in her spot.

"Enjoy! Though it might taste a little off since I ran out of tofu." She smiled and Dai began to eat.

𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚢𝚢𝚢𝚢 𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗 𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚜𝚞𝚙𝚙𝚘𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚎, 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝙸 𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚊 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚝 𝚜𝚘...𝚋𝚢𝚎....

😗

𝟷𝟸53 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚜