Girls' Night Out

Ava

Dear Diary,

What William said that night sitting underneath the stars now echoed itself in my mind every time I saw him. When I walked into the kitchen the next morning and spotted him sitting at the table stirring a cup of black coffee, the words "you aren't incapable of love; you are very capable" came to mind. "Everything I've done has a reason".

The last statement became the one that bugged me the most. Did he think saying that would completely erase the fact that he attacked me? That treating me so awfully, like I wasn't like him for however short a time could be deleted from my memory through just a few words?

Now, he shot me light smiles from across the room, and said "excuse me" and "thank you". He was sarcastic, stubborn, and a bit of a gentleman all at once. I wasn't quite sure what to think of the night and day transformation all in the matter of a week. But, like he said, there must have been a reason, no matter how believable or inexcusable. It wasn't as if he had actually threatened my life or done something so unforgivable.

Jane, on the other hand, hadn't changed her feelings about me at all. I still felt her glare on me the moment I walked into the room. I imagined that if Liv was here, she would have plenty of words for Jane. But I could never work up the courage to go against a vampire, especially Jane. The trust I was too stubborn to admit was that girl scared the shit out of me.

"There you are!" Angelina waltzed into my bedroom and plopped down on top of my bed, laying on her stomach and kicking her feet into the air. "What do you think about a little outing tonight?"

I closed my diary and placed it in my bedside table's drawer. "Wait, I thought I couldn't go out in public in my 'condition'. Too dangerous and also Newborn. That's what you told me, remember?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, I know. But I don't mean out in public of the human eye. I'm talking about somewhere else. It's a surprise, though, so don't ask any further questions. I'm considering even knocking you out on the way there."

I sighed, ignoring her last suggestion. "Okay, I can't ask where. So, when exactly is this adventure you planned?"

"Tonight, nine o'clock. Where that black dress I gave you. You would look absolutely hot in that and a pair of heels I have waiting in my room."

"Okay," I relented. "I'll go on your crazy-ass adventure. But one more question."

She sat back up. "You are seriously like a game of twenty questions, aren't you? Yes, Ava. What do you possibly want to know?"

"Why?"

"What do you mean?" She raised a confused brow. "I just thought you were tired of being cooped up in this place. Getting out and hunting doesn't count. You need to have some fun. So, just promise me you'll be downstairs and ready by nine?"

Of course, I wasn't going to be the one to say no. Who was I to run away from some "fun"?

"I'll be there."

†††

I made my way downstairs at about five before nine wearing Angelina's slinky, black dress and the strappy pumps she had suggested. I felt like I was a normal human again—sent back to my old life—just heading out to another party.

Then I noticed Jane standing in the living room checking her makeup in her compact. She wore a dark blue dress and blazer along with a pair of stiletto pumps. She looked ready to go out for a night of "fun" as well.