Chapter 3

They both walked into the kitchen, a silent agreement hanging in the air after Joyce's quiet request. They sat down together, the familiar chairs offering little comfort for the conversation ahead.

Bob looked at Joyce, taking in the serious set of her jaw, the way her hands fidgeted on the table. "Joyce, I've missed you," he said, his voice tinged with a mix of hope and trepidation. He reached out, trying to bridge the gap with a gentle touch, but she withdrew, a subtle but clear sign of the chasm that had formed between them.

Confusion clouded his features, and he leaned in, earnestness painting his words. "Are you okay? Did something happen?" he asked, his mind racing through a thousand possibilities.

Joyce's eyes flicked up to meet his, a storm of emotions swirling within them. "No, Bob... it's just, I—I don't love you anymore," she blurted out, the words rushing forth like water breaking through a dam. The confession hung in the air, stark and undeniable, as they both grappled with the reality of a love that had quietly unraveled.

As she watched Bob's face—the confusion, the hurt, the dawning realization—guilt began to gnaw at the edges of her relief. She wished there had been another way to say it, a gentler way to unravel the threads of their shared past. Joyce knew that with her admission, she had altered the course of both their lives, and the responsibility of that change lay heavy on her heart.

——
The silence stretched between them, filled with the weight of Joyce's confession. He swallowed hard, trying to process the sudden shift in their reality.

"Okay," he finally managed, his voice a mere whisper, betraying the turmoil underneath. "I... I just need some time to think about all this."

Joyce nodded, her own heart heavy with the cost of her honesty. "I understand," she said, her voice steady despite the chaos of emotions. "Take all the time you need, Bob."

——- ——-
Bob's question hung heavy in the air. "Why, Joyce? Why don't you love me?"

Tears brimmed in Joyce's eyes, her heart aching with the weight of her secret. "I don't know,bob..i just.." she lied, her voice trembling, the truth about Hopper gnawing at her conscience.

Bob's eyes narrowed, a realization dawning on him. "It's because of Hopper, isn't it?" The accusation was soft, yet it cut through the silence like a knife.

Joyce couldn't speak, her silence a deafening admission.

He stood up,the chair scraping about their kitchen tile as he pushed back. "Bob—Bob, please... I'm sorry!" she called after him, chasing him into the darkness, her apologies lost in the void.

As she followed him, her tears now flowing freely ,but as she reached the doorway, the sound of a familiar car engine cut through the air. Hopper's car turned into the driveway.

In the heavy silence following Bob's departure, the only sound was the crunch of gravel under Hopper's tires as his car came to a stop. Joyce stood at the threshold, the chill of the night air mingling with the warmth of her tears.

Hopper stepped out, his figure illuminated by the porch light, his expression a mix of concern and uncertainty. He took in the scene — Joyce's tear-streaked face, the open door, the absence of Bob — and understood without a word being spoken.

"Joyce, what happened?" Hopper's voice was gentle, but it carried the weight of the situation.

But Joyce could only shake her head, the words stuck in her throat. The truth was too complicated, too painful to voice. She had hoped to keep her worlds apart, but now they had collided with a force that left her reeling.