now we look like a team

CHAPTER 5 | NOW WE LOOK LIKE A TEAM

* * * *

"TA DA!"

Mr. Tibbles removed a cloth from a tall thin object, revealing one of our group picture from the photoshoot. Everyone stared at it in amazement until Dwayne broke the silence. 

"Hey, that's us!"

"Today's a Wheaties box. Tomorrow's video games, action figures, lunchboxes, the sky's the limit." He looked from Coach Bombay who was standing off then back to us. "Now, just to make sure everyone knows who you are, try on one of these."

He picked up something from the box next to him to reveal our Team USA jerseys, then held up the sleeve that said HENDRIX on it in big letters. "Brought to you by the wonderful people at Hendrix for all your hockey needs."

Mr. Tibbles threw the jersey at Fulton, then backed up so everyone could get theirs. I waited until most everyone got theirs, then went up to get mine. I picked it up and read the back, Jensen 87. It was amazing that I could get to play for the nation. 

* * * *

After everyone had gotten their jerseys and something for lunch, we were all settled somewhere in the park that Connie had told me and Julie about. We were there for our first lesson with Ms. McKay, and she was talking about ancient Greece, which was the start of western civilization. 

"Back then, there were no sports, no wheaties boxes. So what did they compete for?" Ms. McKay asked. 

"Falafels?" Goldberg asked as a joke. 

I rolled my eyes as a few of us laughed, then raised my hand. 

"Augustine?" She asked me. 

"Pride," I answered confidently. I knew that because it was what kept me so hooked up on hockey. I took pride in what I played, and I have never let that stop me. 

"That's right." She smiled at me, and I returned it. 

"Did America always dominate?" Fulton asked. 

Ms. McKay chuckled, as did the rest of us, then shook her head. "No, America wasn't around then. To other countries, America's still a teenager."

"Like us?" Jesse asked. 

"Yes, exactly like all of you. A little awkward at times, but always on it's way to greatness."

At that moment, Coach Bombay walked over to where we were sitting. He had a mischievous look on his face. 

"Alright team, what do you say to a final skate before the real thing?"

We all started to get hyped up, and Coach told everyone to get their rollerblades, with the exception of me. Many complaints were heard, but I just reminded them that where I'm from, there's not much but ice and snow. 

Luckily, I did not have to walk and instead got to ride in the golf cart with Coach Bombay and Ms. McKay, while the rest of the team skated behind us. Honestly, I kind of wanted to be skating, but watching my teammates struggle as we skated up and down the hills of Minneapolis. 

We skated for a few minutes, before I gave Coach an idea. 

"I don't know what I've been told," Coach started, and everyone immediately caught on.