Chapter 01

On the day Celeste Alinsky moved out of Melville family, half of the toffs in this city came to gloat over her miserable situation.

  For years, Celeste had been hopelessly infatuated with Kendric Melville, yet her unrequited love only made her the laughingstock in wealthy circles.

  Now she was struggling with her heavy suitcase. She staggered out the door and stood on marble steps, coldly observing the several sports cars that had just pulled into the courtyard.

  Gavin Bates was leaning against his car with his arms crossed. He wore his typical triumphant smile on face. Ever since Celeste started pursuing Kendric and moved into Melville family, Gavin and all other his friends had developed a strong dislike for her.

  But today, they got wind from Melville family's butler that Celeste Alinsky was packing her things and preparing to move out! Instantly, their work, dates and all the other things became trivial matters. They hurried here just to witness this woeful moment for Celeste.

  Woeful?

  Hell no! Even she had decided to leave, Celeste would make sure herself left with dignity, with well makeup and elegant demeanor.

  She failed in this love, but it doesn't mean she will get stuck in this failure forever.

  She wore a beige windbreaker that both defined her slender waist and highlighted her remarkable temperament.

  The cab she hailed in ride-hailing APP hadn't come yet, so she waited at the courtyard gate. But it meant she had to stand face to face with Gavin.

  Gavin cast a glance at Celeste's suitcase and sneered at this commonplace scene.

  "Playing your running-away card again? I have to say, you're not creative enough in playing tricks."

  His sarcastic words reached Celeste's ears, and so did others' mocking laughter.

  In their eyes, Celeste was a complete gold digger who would rather die than give up clinging to the prestigious Melville family.

  It was such a shitty day! She made a breakup and then became a laughingstock. Damn! Celeste took a deep breath.

  Well, in the past, she indeed had often played running-away card to threaten Kendric, asking for marriage and his love.

  Okay, a single lie would destroy a whole reputation, let alone multiple ones. Surely now nobody was gonna trust Celeste's determination to leave. Celeste disdained to explain any further, too.

  Instead, she kept her gaze fixed on the precious flowers she'd meticulously nurtured in her garden.

  She pondered whether Kendric would care for her flowers after her departure. Most likely, he wouldn't give a damn about them, just like he had never given a damn about her over the years.

  As these thoughts swirled in her mind, a pang of sadness gripped Celeste.

  Three month. It took her whole three month to make this decision. Now as the day of departure arrived, she still couldn't help feeling slightly wistful.

  Yet it couldn't waver her determination to end this relationship with Kendric

  Years of fruitless persistence had long exhausted her. She'd rather make everything end here.

  The APP indicated that the cab was just three kilometers away. Celeste leaned casually against her suitcase, without even casting a glance at these annoying guys.

  Gavin felt it weird to see Celeste in such a quiet state. But he always thought Celeste as a sheepish doormat. She was always easily bullied since she was head over heels for Kendric. She endured any humiliation for eight years just to stay in Melville family.

  The sarcasm in Gavin's tone turned even more.

  "At the very least you're Ken's fiancée, while Melville family wasn't even willing to appoint a chauffeur to send you."

  Celeste frowned.

  It seemed that her behavior of tirelessly pestering with Kendric really got these toffs nauseated. The showed no mercy insulting her even after she had decided to leave.

  Her furrowed brows didn't escape Gavin's eyes.

  He widened his eyes in pretended shock, "poor Celeste! Melville family won't even bother to send her a driver. They threw her out like a piece of trash."

  His words prompted laughter from the guys.

  For the year, Kendric had been resident abroad for business intention. He only returned occasionally. Thus all Melville family affairs were left in the hands of Ken's mother, Ms. Quinn.

  The question is Ms. Quinn never had much fondness for Celeste. When Ken's grandfather was in Melville's villa, she kept her dislike somewhat in check.

  However, since Ken's grandfather moved to Beacon Senior Care this year, Ms. Quinn completely dropped her mask of kindness and treated Celeste harshly.

  Gavin was adding insult to injury on purpose.

  Celeste, though, didn't even flinch at his words, and her face remained indifferent

  "Gavin, I remember your sister Ophelia is not in good health." she smiled and said in a gentle tone.

  "So watch your mouth, otherwise what if your karma goes to the wrong person?"

  Ophelia Bates is Gavin's younger sister who he cares the most. Everyone who dares to offend his sister will earn his wrath.

  In the past, Celeste wouldn't have the audacity to throw out these offending words. She had been trying everything to blend into their circle, to have Kendric's friends accept her. Even when facing their snide remarks, she would choose to swallow the anger and bitterness.

  It's her first time to show this fierce side. Since she was about to leave this hell place, what the fuck did she need to be afraid of? Nothing!

  All that pent-up grievance of years was unleashed in this very moment.

  Celeste grinned, "even if you all want to play matchmaker and make Ophelia Kendric's wife—"

  "She still needs luck for it... yet I'm afraid she won't have it."

  Gavin Bates never anticipated Celeste's boldness to utter such words. His expression froze briefly, then fearsome anger gathered on his face.

  He took quick strides up the stairs, seized her collar, and rudely pulled her closer.

  These arrogant, pretentious toffs never really hold respect for Celeste who they think as only a stupid bumpkin. So when Gavin dashed to hit Celeste, nobody including the butler showed any intention to stop him.

  Celeste took a few steps backward, but still failed to dodge that slap.