Chapter 03

Celeste's heart pounded uncontrollably.

  A year ago, Kendric had gone to Europe to expand overseas markets. He had only returned two or three times for the past year.

  It had been over a week since Celeste had received his call the last time.

  Since Kendric was always on his business trip by flight, his phone was usually kept by his assistant. Most of the time, Celeste couldn't get through his phone.

  But her too frequent calls made Ken's assistant team grow critical of her. They would intentionally ignore her calls.

  In the past, Celeste would turn furious after being teased by his assistants. Later, she got used to it.

  There were still rumors that her being too clingy and bad temper were the reason Kendric refused to go home...

  Celeste threw the phone away and finished her meal.

  Late at night, the Champs-Élysées Avenue lay quiet and serene.

  Kendric had just wrapped up a tough negotiation. He strode away from the venue.

  Assistant Luke handed over today's meeting minutes to Ken for his signature.

  After that, Luke was about to depart when Kendric stopped him, "anything else to report?"

  Luke racked his brain, wondering if there were any other crucial matters he overlooked.

  But no, he had reported every crucial matters.

  "No, sir. Everything went off without a hitch, and there's no unexpected hiccup outside our plan."

  Kendric still frowned. He watched out the window.

  Kendric didn't utter a word, yet Luke still sensed a palpable tension in the air. He started pondering whether he made some mistakes.

  Back at the hotel, Kendric shed his suit and immersed himself in work. His assistant and brain trust toiled through the night as well.

  Kendric is known as a business talent who transformed Melville Group into an industry juggernaut within a mere decade.

  Yet, only a few knew that he's a perfectionist as well as a workaholic.

  They laboured away until the break of dawn. The assistants and brain trust members were all worn-out. They yearned for some rest. But nobody dared to leave without Kendric's permission.

  Summoning every ounce of courage, Luke ventured inside to remind Kendric of getting some rest. However, all he received was Kendrick's cold glance.

  In the conference hall of the hotel, the assistants huddled together, sighing in despair.

  Assistant Mary cast a worried look toward the room. She was the oldest and most experienced one of the team, so she knew her boss's temperament well.

  This kind of crazy, even self-tormenting overtime was a clear sign of Kendric's bad mood.

  Mary lost in contemplation. "Did Mr. Melville mention anything today?"

  Everyone shook their heads. "We had meetings all day, and then business partner hosted a dinner in the evening. We came back right after dinner."

  It suddenly dawn on Luke something. "Yeah! Boss asked me if there was anything else to report when I handed over the documents."

  Mary probed further. "What else did he say?"

  "Um...I think no."

  Something clicked in Mary's mind. "Is there any call from Melville family recently?"