Chapter 02

"You pathetic, nasty blockhead. You've got the nerves to piss me off. You know why Ken's resident abroad? He's obviously tired of your harassment. You got no idea that you are as annoying as a chewing gum plastered on clothes!"

  True enough, Kendric hadn't set foot at home for nearly half a year. The root of the problem, most likely lay on her.

  Celeste's heart bled at Gavin's words. He was towering and imposing, and that slap sure stung her face. If Kendric showed her even the slightest hint of affection, Gavin wouldn't dare to hit her today.

  Pain surged through Celeste, but she didn't shed a tear.

  "I'll remember this slap." she announced word by word.

  Gavin narrowed his eyes with disdain. "Are you threatening me? You're a nobody without Melville family, a hateful little creep. If I were you, I would get the ass out of here and never come back!"

  Celeste clenched her fist so tightly that her sharp nails even cut her palm. Yet she knew she couldn't afford to really offend any of these guys, or more exactly their powerful families. Just as she painfully realized that Kendric never loved her.

  They all regard her as a shameless hanger-on, a pet dog who will only fawn on its master.

  Gavin's slap seemed like a wake-up call, shattering her last bits of hesitation deep inside.

  The cab arrived right on cue.

  Celeste didn't even cast a backward glance at the place she'd called home for eight long years. Her departure was firm, resolute.

  The butler rushed inside to report to Ms. Quinn as soon as he made sure Celeste's left.

  "Ma'am, she has left."

  Ms. Quinn leisurely flipped through a magazine and responded nonchalantly, "well, good news."

  The butler appeared somewhat worried, "but what if Master Kendric returns and finds her absence..."

  "Don't fret, she'll be back." Ms. Quinn interrupted. "I never truly believe she will really easily give up and leave like this. We'll see. I bet she'll be back."

  In cab, the driver double-checked the address with Celeste. After asking twice without receiving any response, he caught a glimpse of the rearview mirror, only to see her tear-streaked face.

  The cab drove smoothly to the apartment Celeste had rented.

  Her decision to part ways with Kendric was not a spur-of-the-moment choice. She had contemplated it for three whole months before ultimately deciding to end this eight-year unrequited love.

  Over the years, her heart and mind were occupied solely by Kendric. Now it's time to put a definitive end to this chapter of love.

  Celeste had someone clean the apartment before. It's equipped with all appliances needed, and the decor was simple but cozy.

  She put down her luggage and cooked a meal for herself first.

  Then she set to work on changing a new phone. She made a call to her father after that.

  "Dad."

  Myles Alinsky sounded delight upon hearing his daughter's voice, "Cely."

  Hearing her father calling her by nickname almost brought tears to Celeste's eyes. She cleared her throat.

  "Cely, whose phone is this?" Noticing that it wasn't her daughter's original number, Myles couldn't help but ask with concern.

  Celeste had to make up an excuse. "Dad, my previous phone got swiped, and this is my new phone number."