Chapter 06

Next few days, no other members from Melville came to disturb Celeste.

  As a privileged family, Melville never lacked folks trying to get into their good graces. Though Celeste was labeled as Kendric's future wife, everyone knew she was of little importance.

  Her tirelessly chasing after Kendric made her quite a bad name. Even those outsiders could tell that Melville family wasn't treating her with much respect.

  Thus now, most people would choose to get off her back, which was quiet a good news for Celeste. She had been devoted to work these days and got to the office early every day.

  Sienna felt gratified to see Celeste's changes. "If you'd made changes earlier, maybe you wouldn't be in this tight spot now."

  "What do you mean?"

  Sienna whipped out her phone and clicked the group chat,. "just take a gander at what they are talking about you."

  Celeste shifted her attention from the laptop screen to Sienna's phone, scanning through the chatting content.

  [Big news! Celeste Alinsky really got kicked out by Melville family this time!]

  [Smirking Face] [Smirking Face] [Smirking Face]

  [Another running away from home show... nothing to be surprised about, but it seems she never gets tired of it?]

  [Heard the atmosphere between her and Ms. Quinn really lapsed into a impasse this time... Ms. Quinn gave her a good scolding in front of a bunch of servants.]

  [WTF, no wonder she left. Getting chewed out in front of the maids... pretty embarrassing.]

  [Face with Rolling Eyes]

  [Word on the street is, Kendric's coming back in a few days... no prizes for guessing her intention.]

  [What else could it be? To force Ken into marriage!]

  Celeste slowly withdrew her gaze. She calmly continued her work.

  But Sienna was on the edge of outburst. She immediately fired back with a barrage of sharp words that left them utterly speechless.

  Celeste chuckled. She poured a glass of water for Sienna and quipped, "Sienna, you are more riled up than me."

  Sienna was puzzled by her calmness. "Cely... are you really intended to force him into marriage?"

  "You think I will?" Celeste shot her a glance.

  After a moment's pondering, Sienna responded candidly, "well, it's not entirely impossible."

  Celeste let out a sneer.

  "Wait! I got a good idea." Sienna smirked, "Cely, we should give these nasty nerds good embarrassment!"

  "Embarrassment? How?"

  Sienna's imagination was now running wild. "they all say that you were dumped by Kendric, but what if you show up with a new boyfriend who's even more good-looking and charming than him..."

  Sienna got more excited by the imagined scenes in her mind. "and then there will be a good showdown between these two men!"

  Celeste doused Sienna's fire of excitement. "If Kendric knows I have a new boyfriend while he is away, and this guy is even more appealing than him, just guess whose dead body you gotta see tomorrow, mine or the so-called new boyfriend's?"

  Sienna contemplated for a moment. If Kendric discovered he'd been cheated on by Celeste while he was abroad... Sienna shivered as a memory from their university days suddenly emerged from her mind.

  Back in college, Celeste had once been stalked by one of her admirers, and this guy had ended up with three broken ribs.

  "Most likely... neither of you would make it out alive."

  "This is the case." Celeste shrugged, "only idiots would choose to provoke him. I just want a peaceful breakup."

  In Celeste's eyes, it's unnecessary to take other actions and Kendric would agree to break up.

  The insulting words that she berated the butler that day was enough to crank up his disgust for her to a whole new height.

  ***

  Celeste put in some extra hours at the studio and didn't head back until it was pretty late. The studio wasn't too far from her apartment, just a couple of subway stops away.

  When she was in Melville family, she had a car and a chauffeur. But the irony was that she, the 'gold digger' took away only her clothes when she left Melville family.

  Even the gifts Kendric had given her in the past were all left in the bedroom. Eight years ago, she'd moved into this family carrying just one suitcase, and now, she moved out with one suitcase, too. Except for her memories with Kendric, she took nothing away.

  In facet, her relationship with Kendric hadn't always been this icy. When he first took over family business at eighteen, things were far from smooth for him. He wasn't that mature and steady from the start.

  In those early years of running the family business, he often clashed with the opinionated shareholders on the board. He was full of creative ideas and ambition despite his young age. But the board members refused to accept this tenderfoot chairman. Every time Kendric made adjustments to the company's strategy and structure, the board shot him down.

  The young Kendric had a volatile temper. He also refused to make any concession, so their discussions often resulted in stalemate. And that made it hard to implement even the most promising plans for the company's transformation.

  Nobody dared to go persuade Kendric including Ms. Quinn when he was in a bad mood. But Celeste dared, even though she had just moved into Melville family at that time.

  Celeste's courage came from her talk with Kendric's grandfather, Caleb.

  Caleb said that she and Kendric were destined to get married. Thus in times of crisis, she should offer Kendric her support, her advice to make sure he wouldn't make decisions he'd regret.

  Celeste took those words to heart. Then for the first time, she mustered up the courage to knock on Kendric's tightly shut study door. From then on, Kendric hadn't lost his temper in any company meetings.

  No matter how rough his day had been or how many hurdles he'd encountered, Kendric would get Celeste's comforts and company as long as he got home.

  It's not that she was conversant with Kendric's temper from the very first. It all thanks to Caleb's patient teaching. Over time, Celeste learned to read Kendric's moods and mind. She always seemed to know when to calm him down when he needed it most.

  As Kendric turned more mature and capable, the circumstances that would have him lose control became rarer. Celeste's role as mediator slowly faded into obscurity.

  No one remembered Celeste had flied alone to France when she got the news Kendrick had a hard time during his overseas negotiations.

  Nor did anyone remember how Celeste persuaded him into giving one last try after several failed attempts between him and the delegation. The results proved that she was right.

  No one remembered...