The Hospital Massacre

Final chapter for TLOU 1! (I might do some more to fill in some of the gaps about other characters later)

Context: On their way to the destination, soldiers/fireflies, Red nearly drowned and  soldiers/fireflies capture Mango and Red and knock them out whilst doing so.

Warnings: 

____________________

Mango woke up on what felt like a hospital bed, and he turned his head to the side. Daisy was sitting on a chair a little way away from him.

"Welcome to the Fireflies." She said. "Sorry about the uh, they didn't know who you were."

"And Red?" He asked anxiously.

"She's alright, they brought her back."

He breathed a sigh of relief.

"You came all this way, how'd you do it?"

"It was her. She fought like hell to get here, but maybe it was meant to be." He said, groaning as he sat up.

"I lost most of my crew crossing the country. I pretty much lost everything. And then you show up and somehow we find you just in time to save her...Maybe it was meant to be." 

"Take me to her." He said, standing up.

"You don't have to worry about her anymore. We'll take care of her-"

"I worry. Just let me see her. Please."

"You can't. She's being prepped for surgery." 

"The hell you mean surgery?" Mango said slowly, squinting his eyes in confusion.

"The doctors tell me that the cordyceps, the growth inside her has somehow mutated." She explained calmly. "It's why she's immune. Once they remove it, they'll be able to reverse engineer a vaccine. A vaccine."

"But it grows all over the brain." He said.

"...It does." She whispered.

Mango's face shifted in realization. Red was going to die for this vaccine.

"Find someone else." He said firmly.

"There is no-one else."

"Listen you are gonna show me where-"

As he advanced, a soldier behind him kicked him in the back of the knees, making him fall to the floor. 

"Stop it." Daisy said sharply. "I get it, but whatever it is you think you're going through right now, is nothing to what I have been through. I've known her since she was born. I promised her mother I'd look after her."

"Why are you letting this happen?!"

"Because this isn't about me! Or even her. There is no other choice here!"

"Yeah...you keep telling yourself that bullshit."

Daisy's face hardened.

"March him outta here. He tries anything, shoot him." She paused. "Don't waste this gift Mango."

With that, she walked out of the room, leaving Mango alone with the Firefly.

"Get up."

Slowly, Mango got up and walked out of the room, followed by the man. As he passed through what looked like the reception, he stopped.

"What the fuck you doing? Keep walking." The Firefly said, pressing the gun to Mango's back. Swiftly, Mango spun round and snatched the gun from his hands and pushed the man up against a wall.