7 | Beginners luck

"You've been awfully... helpful lately Mary-Beth." Tilly remarks as the two scrub dishes behind Pearson's wagon.

This is true. Mary-Beth had, partly sub consciously, decided to be more helpful around camp. Both her run in with the O'Driscolls and the last couple of weeks and that ordeal with Arthur had served as a sort of wake up call.

She'd been writing two nights ago, working on her current story, when she suddenly stopped and shoved the journal deep into her trunk of things. She hadn't exactly been thinking about what that meant for her, but she hasn't reached for the journal since.

I'm 26, it's time I start acting like it. She'd been reminding herself all week, it had become a mantra.

But Arthur's words still echo in her head, something that rings especially loud in her thoughts is,

'And if I were you, I would get out of here as soon as possible.'

It had never really occurred to her that she might have a life outside of the gang one day, that she hopes to have a life outside of the gang. Of course Dutch's dreams and promises of disappearing, buying land in the west and living happily ever after are what she truly hopes for, there are traces of doubt in her mind that this would become a reality. Perhaps Arthur has doubts too, or maybe he just wants to get rid of her.

Either way, somewhere along the way of her endless train of thoughts, she decided that she would become more independent so that if the time comes where she needs to leave, she won't be so blindsided by it all.

"Oh sure, I guess." Mary-Beth replies listlessly, still lost in thought.

Hosea comes around the side of the wagon. "Good morning ladies." He smiles warmly.

"Morning." The two girls greet, nearly in unison.

"Hard at work I see?" He asks. Mary-Beth can tell he's working to something.

Tilly smiles. "Always."

"Good... good. Mary-Beth, you think I could borrow you for a while? Tilly you think you could spare her?"

"Yeah that's fine. Knew I shouldn't get too comfortable with this new Mary-Beth." Tilly laughs. Mary-Beth rolls her eyes, good-natured.

"Don't worry, I'll keep her busy." Hosea chuckles. Mary-Beth wipes her hands on her skirt and gets up to follow him.

"What do you need me for?" She asks, hurrying after him, nearing the hitching posts.

"This might seem strange but... I thought you and I could go hunting. Just quickly down by the river."

This was indeed strange, out of the blue really. She'd always liked Hosea, she was fond of him in fact. She loved their conversations, he was the wise, level headed father she never had. But they hadn't spent much, if any, time together outside of camp. But of course she feels inclined to agree, after all, hunting is the kind of thing good, independent women learn how to do, like that woman Sadie.

Mary-Beth remembers reading a romance book once about a headstrong, warrior woman in ancient times who attracted the attention of a prince who spent all his time vying for her affection. It was unlike anything she had ever read but she remembers thinking that she ought to write a story about a strong woman too, a woman who doesn't need saving.

With this thought, she smiles and nods. "I would love to Hosea."

"Excellent." He grins. He unhitches a camp horse and hands the reigns to her. "I've got this one all saddled up for you. I heard you lost that last one but no mind, I'm sure we won't get into anything that will warrant that kind of excitement." He chuckles.