On A New Adventure

Chapter 12: On A New Adventure

The next day, the day of Link and Ruto's departure, came as any other, with the sun peaking over the horizon and bathing the kingdom of Hyrule in the glow of morning. Against the eastern edge of the wall enclosing Hyrule Castle Town a section of the masonry suddenly shifted and receded into the ground, revealing a concealed passage within. Link, with Ruto once again wrapped around his neck, Impa and Princess Zelda emerged, Link leading Epona by the reins.

This was yet another one of the many secret passages of Hyrule Castle Town, built for the use of the Royal Family, which Zelda had proffered so Link wouldn't have to use The Stone Mask.

At the mouth of the secret passage they bid each other farewell, Link and Ruto promising to come back and visit once endeavors in Veasian were concluded. Zelda had requested to hold Ruto one last time, which Ruto obliged. As Link rode away on Epona, Ruto around his shoulders, Zelda felt a deep sadness at their departure. She glanced at the river that followed through Hyrule Field, following it up until she was looking at the entrance to the valley that housed Zora's Domain. She made a mental note to get in touch with the other Ruto sometime soon.

She was just as much her close friend as the version of her that was currently with Link, after all.

"Come, Princess. We'd best head back," insisted Impa, receding back into the secret passage.

Zelda obliged, slipping back into the shadows as well, the wall closing behind them with a subtle thud as they went back to business as usual. She hoped Link was up to this. If Veasian attacked Hyrule the peace Link had fought so hard for was going to be short lived. And Prince Hojim worried her, almost more than Ganondorf did.

Especially considering the nightmare she had had last night, where a massive tidal wave was looming over Hyrule, ready to sweep it away in a blink...

... the image of a massive Zora's hand curtained just behind the violent wall of water, ready to breach through and seize Hyrule in its grip.

-

Link steered Epona westward on Hyrule Field, making for the entrance to Gerudo's Valley. Veasian was south of Hyrule, but Hyrule was surrounded by cliffs, mountains, and valleys that made arrival and departure from the kingdom complicated. The more commonly used method to access Hyrule was through the forest to the east; the same path Link had taken when he first set out in search of Navi, but that route didn't lead south, the direction blocked by a wall of stone. There was only one area in Hyrule that one could head south unimpeded.

The Haunted Wasteland.

It was a grueling prospect, for the Haunted Wasteland was practically inhospitable, but Link was going to meet the challenge head on. Besides, not only was this not the first time he'd needed to travel through that notorious desert, but he was well equipped to tackle whatever obstacles he might find there. He was better equipped now than last time even, his saddlebags ladened with supplies and equipment, compliments of the Princess.

Ruto, for her part, despite still being plagued with anticipation and fear at the prospect of going to Veasian, was finding herself enjoying the journey, even though they were barely an hour into the beginning league. Hyrule Field was a beautiful sight to behold, with the lush green grass and clear daytime sky. She had had little time to appreciate something so simple in her life, what with being a Zora princess and then the incident with Ganondorf and becoming a Sage. Even recently, after being reunited with Link, Ruto's experiences had just been the gloom of forests, the familiar visage of Lake Hylia, and Hyrule Castle Town, because when Link had ventured across Hyrule Field to Hyrule Castle Town after their visit to Lake Hylia she'd been sound asleep, still recuperating from her large meal.