Prologue

Deep within his lavish office, a tapestry of ornate trinkets and other curiosities spread far and wide, a passionate ringleader sits waiting, tapping his fingertips atop his recently polished mahogany desk, his other hand wrapped tightly around an almost empty glass of malt whisky. Anticipation thumped heavily throughout this whimsical cluttered room, the entire circus in fact. 

For the most part this ringleader looked fairly human, at a first glance anyway, though this ringleader was, in fact, not human at all, neither were his performers. Curiously, the ringleader was the one who looked the most human of all. 

His form reclined in a slouch against the plushest of cushions, though he could not feel his behind and hasn't for the last hour – the ringleader had not moved an inch. For the entire day he remained ensconced in his chair, his insides coiled with anxious impatience. 

As the minutes turn to hours, a fast and gentle knock came from behind the door, the ringleader sat up from his slouch expectantly. He recognises this particular knock, the duration, the pattern, the potency.

"Enter." He calls croakily, having not cleared his throat in a while and releases the glass from his grip. 

The door protests as it swings open, a continuous screech filling the air. The ringleader could fix this in an instant, he is powerful and angry enough about it to do so, but instead he leaves it untouched. After another blood boiling screech followed by a gentle shut of the door, careful measured footsteps arrive at the ringleader's desk.

"You summoned me?" This visitor inquires with a soft tone, careful not to break the heavy hanging anticipation sitting in the air.

"I did indeed," the ringleader nods, rising from his chair. "I have exciting news."

The visitor widens their eyes. "Does this mean - ?"

"- It most certainly does." The ringleader states, a grin playing at the corners of his lips. "Our missing puzzle piece, our linchpin and our final performer." He exits his desk to pace around the room, the visitor's eyes glued to his every move. "She will arrive in the next night or so. I've finally ensured the completion of our grand design. Everything is coming together."

A subtle shift in the visitor's stance gives away their moment of hesitation, the ringleader notices this instantly.

"You," He turns and looks his visitor in the eye with the grin now fully protruded on his face, "I need you to be on your very best behavior."

"What do you need me to do Silas?" Comes a swift and careful response.

The ringleader, Silas, pauses. He knows that after all these years, he has demanded so much from this performer, although there is no room for leniency now.

"You watch more than ever. You see to it that this girl does not leave, and that nobody gives her reason too." Silas takes a firm grip of the visitor's arm. "Or you will be sorry."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eeeeee I actually love it though and it's in the way I wanted to write it.

Feedback encouraged!!! I'm a sucker for feedback

Thanks for being patient!