SCENE 14 (ENDING SCENE)

(NARRATOR) The next day, the island's residents are in an uproar over the news of Deramang's death. The shock intensifies when they learn that Mahsuri is accused of the murder. All villagers are summoned to witness the punishment that Mahsuri is about to receive. The Sultan grants Mahora full authority for this punishment to determine whether she can truly be trusted.

Villagers whisper among themselves.

Gardener 2 : Is it really Mahsuri? I thought she was a nice person!

Gardener 1 : Impossible! It can't be Mahsuri. Maybe she's being framed by Mahora. Everyone knows she despises her sister.

Bodyguard 3 : Attention! I will deliver His Majesty, the Sultan's order regarding Mahsuri. (opens scroll) Mahsuri, the daughter of Pandak Mayah, is now stripped of her royal title and will receive a death sentence for assassinating Deramang. The Sultan has given his full authority for this punishment to Her Majesty, Mahora. End of command. (closes the scroll)

Mahora enters the scene.

Gardener 1 : That's her, the real devil.

Villagers chatter.

Bodyguard 3 : Silence!

Mahora : Thank you. So today, all of you will witness the death of Mahsuri. But it's too easy just to give death to you, right, Mahsuri?

Mahsuri : What are you going to do, Mahora?

Mahora : Today, I want all of you to be my witnesses. This girl whom you flatter and love so much is actually evil! If I am right, the blood that flows from her body will be black, proving my innocence. But if it's not, then I will accept any punishment you give.

Mahsuri : P-Please, Mahora. I promise I will be a good sister from now on. Please let me go, trust me..

Mahora : Always remember this, Mahsuri. You're the one who wanted me to be like this. (looks at the audience)

Mahora stops in her tracks when she hears her parents' voices.

Mak Alang : Mahora, no! Please reconsider. Think, Mahora, think. She's your sister!

Pak Andak : Yes, Mahora. Please think of the happy moments you've shared!

Mahora : (laughs) I'm sorry, Father, but there's never been a happy moment we've shared. She always picks on me whenever she has the chance. Mahsuri always steals the spotlight away from me, making me feel unwanted with her words.

Mak Alang : Mahora, listen to your mother. Forgive your sister and forget everything that happened in the past.

Mahora : Mother, until now, you've never been on my side. It's always Mahsuri, Mahsuri, Mahsuri. Have you ever asked how much it hurts me when you ignore my existence? Have you ever asked how much it hurts me when people compare me to Mahsuri? Have you ever tried to stop them?

Mak Alang stands still, speechless at Mahora's confession.

Mak Alang : I-I mean—

Mahora : If the answer is no, then you don't have the right to stop me.