Track 27

The car ride back to Alder Park was deathly silent. Zoe sat in the middle of the floor, frivolously shuffling and laying out her cards.

"Damn, Marcello," Gemo yawned, looking over. "How're you gonna let Alder blue-ball us like this?" He asked in his usual playful mocking tone.

"He's used to getting his way," Marcello sighed, annoyed. "There's nothing I could've said to change his mind. You can't with people like that."

"So, like you?"

Marcello scowled, "You don't know anything about me."

"to be fair to him, it does make sense," Mitani said. "I mean, if anyone is gonna know how to torture someone to get info, it'll be those scary-ass dudes."

Zoe locked eyes with Marcello, attempting to discern the direction he was heading with his idea.

Poatan stepped into the alleyway and sat on the concrete steps, unlocking his phone.

"Poatan?" Zheanni's voice echoed from the phone's speakers.

"Yeah, it's me," he said, fishing out a lighter from his pants.

"The fuck happened? I got everyone lookin' for you! Thinkin' you got packed an' shit."

"Hell nah, you know that ain't ever happenin' to me. But shit, we got enemies here; that's for sure."

"Is it BTB?"

"Nah, I don't think so. I've never seen these dudes before, but I got the names 'Alder Park' and 'Marcello' from one of em'."

"Alder Park," the name stuck in her mouth.

"You know him?"

"Nah, but I will soon...Hold on, does this man have any relation to Ayla Park? The Dizney girl?"

"Oh yeah! One guy kept asking me if I knew where she was. But I didn't know she was a star."

"Where you at?"

"No clue. Kinda looks like the area near Antwan and his girl were set up. But look, it don't matter," he took Bulwark's phone out of his pocket, as he spoke, scrolling through the contacts, seeing the name Marcello. He grinned, showing off his blood-stained teeth; small spots of flesh still stuck between some. "I'm gonna get this lil' dude out the way for us."

"Hold on," Marcello said, holding up a hand to Zoe, as he reached in his pocket, pulling out the ringing phone. "What do you need, Bulwark?" He said, putting it to his ear.

Zoe watched as Marcello's eyes widened, a look she'd never expected to see on him. She watched as the arm which held his phone slowly dropped by his side.

"Zoe, do me a favor, real quick."

"Uh," she looked from his hand back to his face. Now back to its usual stoic expression. "Okay," she said hesitantly.

"Right now, look up large abandoned sections of town." He put the phone back to his ear, "What is it you need."

Zoe walked to an open laptop on the kitchen counter, passing by Mitani who watched Marcello curiously.

"I'll choose the place," Marcello said. "It'll be a quiet area..." he trailed off, listening. "I don't need anyone else," he walked over to Zoe, looking over her shoulder at the computer screen. "I'll message you the address."

"What was that?" Mitani asked.

"Gemo," Marcello nodded at the man sitting on the couch. "That thing we discussed earlier. It's now or never."