Chapter 30

Sunday morning, Brandon slowly woke up in his bed, laying on his side. Little bits of sunlight peeked through his curtains, brightening up the room rather pleasantly. Behind him, and with her arms wrapped around him, Crys was still asleep. Brandon smiled to himself when he realized Crys was still there. He didn't move, that way he could let his friend continue to sleep. He thought to himself a little, thinking that it was odd to see Crys so at peace after so long. It wasn't like the times when she had passed out. This time it was real. She was genuinely at peace. It made him happy. After a few minutes, he needed to get up, so he carefully tried to shuffle himself free of Crys' hug. She just readjusted herself and tightened her grip. Brandon gave a small, quiet, laugh to himself before gently tapping Crys' hand.

"Crys." Brandon whispered.

"Mnff." Crys grumbled, still asleep.

"Crys?" Brandon repeated.

"Hmmm?" Crys groaned, at least half awake now.

"I need to get up." Brandon replied.

"I don't want you to go." Crys tightened her grip once again, shuffling in even closer to Brandon.

Brandon smiled. He had missed his friend, but he really did need to get up. "Please?" He asked.

Crys groaned a little, but did let go.

"Thank you." Brandon whispered as he got up. He went and used the bathroom, taking his day clothes with him to change into since Crys was in his room. Afterwards, he returned to his room, placing his pajamas on the back of his couch before returning to sit on the edge of his bed. He put a hand on Crys' shoulder and rubbed it a little. Crys smiled in response.

The two friends remained as-is for a few minutes before Crys finally started to really wake up.

Crys yawned, then sat up in the bed. "What time is it?" She asked, sounding completely worn out.

"Almost eleven." Brandon replied.

"Already?"

"Yeah."

Crys took a deep breath.

"I take it you slept well?" Brandon asked.

Crys nodded. "It's been a while." She replied. "Look," her tone quieted, "I really am sorry about-"

"Crys, it's okay." Brandon interrupted.

"No, it isn't." Crys replied with a somewhat firm tone. "I've been a terrible friend, and-"

"Crys." Brandon interrupted again, this time firmer than before. He gave her a small smile. "It's in the past, okay?"

Crys nodded a little. "Okay." She said with a faint smile of her own. "Well..." she tacked on, "I still need to talk with Tomas and Emma. I need to apologize to them, especially to Emma, after what happened."

"I'll see if we can meet them for lunch or something later." Brandon offered.

"Thanks." Crys said weakly. She took another deep breath. "What happens if I start thinking all that again? Wh-what happens if I start thinking I'm a monster again?"

"Then I'll help you through it. You can't change overnight, Crys."

Crys frowned a little, then nodded. She knew she'd have to keep working on this. It didn't thrill her whatsoever. She thought to herself for another moment or two before speaking up again. "Can, can I show you something?"

"Sure." Brandon said with curiosity.

Crys slowly got out of the bed and stretched once she stood up. A brief pain in her shoulder reminded her that maybe stretching wasn't the best idea. She let out a small gasp.