That's What Friends Are For

There's an old song called Diamonds are a girl's best friend. The song is about how the protagonist believes that diamonds are more valuable than love or affection from a man. She thinks that even if a man kisses her hand or gives her affection, diamonds are still better. She mentions that diamonds don't lose their value like people do when they get older. It's not that diamonds are a girl's best friend, but it's your best friends who are your diamonds. It's your best friends who are supremely resilient, made under pressure, and of astonishing value.

Without friendship, there would be chaos and darkness. Real friends are the ones you can count on, no matter what. The ones who are there when you feel like a failure, when you get so overwhelmed with life and just need a minute to breathe, or when you need to fly across the country and see your hometown, your mom, your friends, the girls that have always supported you, who have always had your back. Who kept in touch even when you decided to move away and start a new journey without them? A journey that eventually led you back to your hometown of Chicago. Back to your two best friends, girlfriends that she's missed over the last few years.

It's been ten years since she was in Chicago. It has been eight years since she made a decision that, to this day, was her biggest mistake; three years since she saw her real friends; and a two months since she saw her mom. 

The airport was bustling with people as Stella made her way towards the luggage carousel. She was tired; she hadn't slept on the plane as she was dreading the third degree she was going to get once she returned to Chicago. She had been traveling for almost a day. It hadn't exactly been a comfortable journey, especially considering she had a three-month-old baby to take care of. A very cranky baby at that. 

She walked over to the seating area and sat the car seat down. She then unloaded herself from the three big bags she had wrapped around her. She pulled out her cell phone and noticed a text from her mom. "Seriously mom." She groans to herself in frustration. "What the hell am I going to do now?" She questioned herself as she sat down in the cold, uncomfortable airport chair. 

She scrolls through her contacts as she thinks about who she can call at nine p.m. for a place to crash. She has no money for a hotel or even a cab. She couldn't stay in the airport; she would be on constant watch, scared for herself and her baby's safety. She stopped scrolling at Kelly's name; she smiled as she thought about him. It's been eight years since they last talked; she doesn't even know if this is his number anymore. She wanted to call him; she really missed him. But she knew he wasn't an option; she broke his heart eight years ago, and they haven't talked since that dreadful day.

Besides, he probably moved on and found someone who could give him what she couldn't. Her biggest regret was losing Kelly; he was her person, her other half, and her soulmate. But she broke him and lost him all together. She gets teary-eyed as she thinks about him; she refers to him as the one who got away. She sighs as she begins scrolling again. 

Her eyes light up at the next name; she remembers when she told her she would always be here for her. They used to talk and text a lot, but for the last two years, she's been ghosting her, not because she wanted to but because she had to. The last two years have been a battle for Stella; she's been through hell in more ways than one. Her tears fell as she thought about everything that had happened since she left her hometown, and all her real friends—her so-called LA friends—didn't know the definition of friendship or what it meant to be a friend. Her hometown friends, the group she grew up with, were the best. They were her diamonds. "Let's hope this is still her number." She whispered to her sleeping baby. Her throat tightened as the phone rang. 

"Hello." The voice was hesitant and full of uncertainty. 

She took a deep breath. "Shay, is this Shay?" She wasn't sure, the voice sounded different.