𝑐𝒉𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑖𝑥 - 𝑡𝒉𝑒 𝑔𝑎𝑚𝑏𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑤𝑎𝑦

Katherine

"So, we're supposed to just accept these...'gifts'?" Laurance asks, his boot kicking one of the wooden crates that the O'Khasis soldiers had loaded onto the dock. Katelyn standing in front of the boxes, her blue eyes staring back at Laurance, Garroth and I.

"This armor, it was made with some of the finest materials in Ru'aun. This armor even has pieces of Divine Warrior armor. I bring you these gifts, because I want to prove to you I'm not your enemy. I'm really not, Lord Aphmau." She focuses her gaze onto Aphmau, who stood beside Garroth.

"I don't know if I can believe you." She replied as Garroth began opening the crates, lifting the wooden lid from the top of the first box.

The sun reflected off of the silver colored armor set sitting in the crate, Garroth looked back at us and then to Katelyn. "These are my designs...from before the guard academy. How did you get these?" Garroth asks, sternly.

"They were kept safe after your disappearance." Katelyn replied, glancing over her shoulder toward the two O'Khasis guards who stood on the beach, the others still on the ship. She looked back toward us, "I must get back, but please, accept my gift."

I had kept Garroth's designs, passing them off to Sam later on. I remember when Garroth had left, right after his eighteenth birthday and right after he completed guard academy. It was one of the few authentic pieces of him left.

Katelyn turned around, walking off the dock and onto the sand, the two guards joining her, side by side as they walked back toward the ship. Dante, Garroth and Laurance began opening the crates, inspecting the pieces of armor as Aphmau pulled me aside, her amber eyes looking up at me.

"What do you think?" Aphmau asks me, her tone low. "Do you think she's our enemy?"

"I remember Katelyn very fondly, but people can change. I don't think you should let your guard down." I whispered, looking down at her as she twisted her black locks of hair around her finger.

The last thing I wanted was to add a target onto Phoenix Drop or Katelyn. I've given much of my trust into Katelyn throughout life, but things are different now. And with Jeffory's life at risk, she might be on edge.

"I don't want anything bad to happen..." Aphmau trails off, glancing back toward the ocean where the ship rocked back and forth.

Laurance and I were on patrol during the day. I think that's one of my least favorite things, being on patrol. I guess I just felt out of place here too, I didn't go to the academy, I wasn't the most amazing fighter by any means.

The market was busy, Logan was dealing with a heckler, a scrawny man trying to do a trade. Donna was also selling goods, Yip sitting on her lap, playing with her long, brown hair. Other booths had people around them, farm animals making sounds. The sun was hot, beating down onto our clothing.

"That armor's really nice." He says, breaking the silence between us as we stood in the plaza.

"O'Khasis has high quality stuff." I said, staring ahead as people walked around, holding their loaves.

"Garroth seems happy that his designs became something." he says as we begin walking through the crowd, nearing Logan and Donna's station in the market.

I nodded as we turned toward Logan who was still bickering with the man.

"Two coins for four boards of wood!" The man snaps, leaning over the wooden counter, waving his finger at Logan.

"Four coins for four boards." He says back, sternly, running his calloused hand through his curly, blond hair. Donna was folding quilts next to him, Yip pulling on her dress.