Chapter 1

Kim Jennie

I swiveled on my office chair as I sipped on my Coffee. Yes, it was that time of the year. December had begun, and so did the hustle and bustle of Christmas. The glow of colorful lights lit up the neighborhood. Every car on the street seemed to have a freshly cut evergreen tree tied to the top. Scores were packed with people trying to find the perfect gift. Here i was, turning into a Grinch.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. For some reason, this year it's taking me a little longer to get into the holiday spirit. I stared at my laptop, wondering how my life became so mundane. Not even the twinkling lights made me smile this year. I was in a major rut and I had no idea how to get out of it.

"Are we going out tonight?"

Aeri, my best friend, popped her head over my cubicle. I've known Aeri pretty much my whole life. We've been through a lot together. She was the one constant in my life i could always count on.

"Ugh, I don't know Aeri. I was thinking of going home and curling up with a good book."

Aeri rolled her eyes as she set her chin on her arms, which were draped over my small wall. "You need to curl up with a man, not a book."

I huffed and shook my head. "Because so many men are lining up for me."

"They would! If you threw me on a nice outfit and got your cute ass out there!" When I didn't respond, she continued, "You're not going to get out of this weird funk you're in if you keep doing the same shit every night."

She was right, of course. Nothing was going to change unless I changed it. "Fine."

Aeri popped up, clapping. "Yay! Okay, you are coming home with me after work. I don't trust you to go to your place and actually come out."

I laughed. She was right, again. If i went home, I'd think of some excuse to stay.

______

Our favourite local bar was busier than usual for a Thursday night. There was barely a spot to park. "What is going on? Why is it so packed?"

Aeri shrugged as she stopped the car. "Maybe there is a special or a band?"

I nodded towards a large group of people walking in with gifts. "Must be a private party."

I pulled down the visor and checked my make-up one last time. I didn't get dressed up often, so when I went out, i like to get all dolled up. Sparkled around the eyes are always a must. I smoothed my hair into long, straight strands. Put on a cute skirt that was completely inappropriate for the weather outside. But, like Aeri said, I got to get my cute ass out there. I mean, my ass wasn't literally hanging out, but you know what I'm saying.

A couple of candy cane martinis later, I was feeling great. Aeri was flirting with the bartender. I was always so amazed at her confidence. I couldn't help but smile before taking another sip of the delicious martini that was sure to be my enemy tomorrow.

"Jennie?"

I almost spit out my drink when I heard the voice. Kim Junseo, my high school boyfriend. I hadn't seen him in six years. He looked exactly the same, minus the expensive suit he was wearing.

"Holy shit! Junseo?"

He laughed as i jumped up to give him a hug. "You always had a way with words."

"What are you doing here? I thought you moved to Australia or something."

"I did. I'm in town for my wedding. We're having it right before Christmas." He nodded towards the large party in the backroom.