Chapter 5: The Park

The movie started. When it starts, you almost immediately hear someone scream in the movie.

I shuddered and I looked over at Finn and he mouths, "Are you okay?"

I mouth back, "No, not really," and then smiled after.

He sat up from his chair and he gently pulled my arm and sat me up from mine. He led me out to the door. I looked over at Olivia and she raised her eyebrows. When we got out the door he said, "I don't really like scary movies either," he said, but I could hear the lie in his voice.

Was he comforting me? That's weird and kind of sweet at the same time. But, yesterday, I was telling people that I hated the idea of dating boys and I would never fall in love. But then again, that's how every movie starts and ends. "Yeah but you don't have to do that, we can go back in the theater."

"No, I want to show you something," he explained. I blushed.

He and I walked out of Olivia's house. We walked and talked.

"So, where are you taking me?" I asked.

"You'll see," he responded.

"So, do you want to talk?" I asked awkwardly.

"You've never done this, have you?"

"Done what?"

"Gone somewhere with a boy. I can tell. You look nervous," he said, with a chuckle.

"Haha, no, I've never been anywhere with a boy before. That's kinda creepy how you know that B-T dubs," I said. He laughed. "You know yesterday and earlier today I was criticizing Alex and Olivia's relationship. And I've always criticized that when they met, a day later Alex asked her out. But I'm starting to understand why."

"Why?" he asked.

"Because you know. You just know that that person is a loyal, true person," I explained the best I could.

"Well, what do you think of me?" he asked.

I giggled. Oh no, no, no, no, I was turning into Olivia. But, it was kind of nice. To have that warm fuzzy feeling of a boy flirting with you.

"Uh, I don't know yet. If I said yes, would you be weirded out?"

"Not at all."

"Then yes," I said.

When I looked straight in front of me rather than over at Finn, I realized where we were. We were in my childhood park. The one where all the cool kids would come to after school ended. In elementary, of course. I guess all the middle school kids are too cool for that now. But I know I would totally come to a park. It wouldn't ruin my reputation, I never had one anyways.

We walked over to one of the benches on the hiking trail and we sat down. There was an awkward silent moment. I grabbed Finn's hand nervously, knowing I might be rejected. Where had this confidence come from? What was wrong with me? But, he looked over and smiled. Phew, I thought to myself. I tried my best to not get nervous because I knew it would make me sweat.

"So," Finn said.

"So, what?" I asked.

I stared into his hazel eyes for a second and then he stared back at me. I knew what he was planning. He leaned in and gently pressed his lips to mine. My eyes went wide and then I giggled.

"So," I said.

He held onto my hand still. "You know you're really pretty."

"You're the first one to say that," I said.

"Really?" he asked.

I nodded my hand yes and he sat up, still holding my hand.

"Is this kinda cringe?" he asked.

"Yes and no," I replied.

"Explain."

"Well, that was my first kiss and then I'm positive this wasn't your first kiss?"

"Haha, no it was not. I changed a lot over summer last year. Oh dang, it's 7:30. We should probably head back to Elijah's." He said.

Oh no, I could not get in trouble. Especially because my parents were out of town. We didn't tell Mrs. Mary that we were going to the park. And time flew by so quickly, what had happened? The park was only ten minutes away from their house. I guess time flies by when you're with someone, well, a boy.

"We should probably run," Finn said in a Hurry-Or-We're-Going-To-Get-in-trouble voice.

"Race ya," I said, letting my competitive self get the best of me.

"You're on," he replied.

I giggled and sprinted to the stop-sign, looked both way, and then continued to sprint. I was in the lead at first...and then he just had to catch up.. It was a long run so it was now whoever could sprint the longest without taking a break.

I kept running and pulled back into the lead, but not for long. Finn followed, caught up, I ran harder, he followed, and then caught up again. At last, I could see Olivia's house.

"I won," I said, as I reached the front door and he was only a few feet behind me. He laughed and I opened the door to the house.