Niggas In Many Zip Codes

The decision to leave Pennsylvania and start a new life had been a difficult one, but necessary for the safety and well-being of myself, Sean, and now my unborn child. The under-the-table job as a waitress provided a small income to support us, while Sean was safely tucked away in daycare under my sister's name, hidden from any prying eyes that may be searching for us.

As the days turned into weeks and months, my belly grew round with the weight of new life, the impending arrival of my daughter a mix of joy and trepidation. At eight months pregnant, the reality of our situation weighed heavily on me - I knew deep down that this child was D-Rock's, a stark reminder of the tumultuous past that still haunted me.

Despite the challenges we faced, I tried to stay under the radar, keeping a low profile and avoiding drawing attention to myself. Sean's second birthday loomed on the horizon, a bittersweet milestone that served as a stark reminder of the life we had left behind. The news screens occasionally flashed our faces, a constant reminder of the danger that lurked in the shadows, threatening to unravel the fragile threads of our new life.

We had settled into a comfortable apartment in the quiet town of Teague, a temporary sanctuary where we kept to ourselves, isolated from the prying eyes of strangers. Men would often approach me, their curiosity piqued by the sight of my swelling belly, their probing questions about my family and marital status met with a polite but firm response - I was married, a simple lie to protect the truth of our delicate situation.

As the days passed and my due date drew near, a sense of unease settled over me, a mix of anticipation and fear for what the future held. The weight of my past mistakes hung heavy in the air, a heavy burden that threatened to crush me under its weight. But despite the uncertainties that lay ahead, I found solace in the quiet moments of solitude, in the simple joys of watching Sean play and feeling the gentle kicks of my unborn daughter beneath my palm.

As the days turned into nights, I clung to the hope that we could carve out a new beginning, a fresh start far from the dangers that had once threatened to consume us. And so, we waited in the stillness of our small apartment, our future hanging in the balance, a fragile thread of hope woven through the fabric of our fragile existence.

When i got home from work and picking up Sean my neighbor was sitting on her porch reading a book.

"A man came by your place today looking for you Onyx."She said not looking up from her book.

Mrs.Drescer was quite a character and she often acted as if she wasn't nosey but she was in fact very nosey. She meant well tho.

"What did he look like?"I asked fearfully. I hoped she meant a delivery guy or something because lord knows i hope D-Lock didn't find me.

"He was African American, with braids...he wore clothes that were too hot for Texas weather."

D-Locks homies never cared. When they did business they always dressed in winter clothes, dark, long clothing. 

"Okay..thank you for letting me know."

"He asked about a Sapphire... I said i don't know any Sapphire sir... I know an Onyx tho."She continued.

"Thank you..Ms.Drescer."I said before opening the door and walking Sean in. I locked the door behind me and sat down on the sofa. I heard footsteps coming down my steps and i turned around fast. It my dads old friend Toose.

"Toose...what the fuck are you doing here?"

"Sapphire....nobody in the family knows where you are but i do! I heard D-Lock in the bar talking about killing you when he finds you..What are you doing?"