Chapter 4

I didn't expect my prayers to be answered. The gods don't usually listen to those of tainted souls. Yet, here I am. Standing in front of my father. 

The sight of him tugs at a memory that I do not have. It's there. In the front of my mind. But when I focus on it... It disappears. Hiding away once more. 

His dark locs seem longer and he wears a simple trench coat over a sweater and jeans. His face expression is... Mournful. Like he's staring at my funeral. "Imena..."

This isn't what I asked for, but I have a feeling it's what I need. "Dad." 

His eyes soften. Is he relieved that I called him dad and not Hypnos? Or is he just relieved I recognize him at all? 

"Imena. You- you asked for something I'm not sure I can give you." 

A frown tugs on my lips. "Why not? Why can't I have this?" 

"Because you cannot handle it." He steps closer. Reaching out like he wants to hug me but he quickly pulls back. "It will be painful. Seeing the love of your life. Unable to speak to them. Or let them know you're there." 

"I can handle it." 

"No... You cannot." He mutters. 

My frown deepens. "And how do you know?" How dare he? How dare he refuse me the right to see the one man who has ever loved me? Especially considering he is not one of those men-

"I know because I cannot handle it." 

I pause. 

My mother. He's talking about my mother. 

Hypnos takes a deep breath. "I watch over you two. Every day. I watched you both for years and I was not able to let you know I was there. I watched her love for me fade and your hate for me grow. And I could not do anything about it. I watched my own daughter die. But I was told, that if I interfered with Fate, I would curse you to a sentence worse than death."

My words fail in my throat. The only thing I can hear is his words. Circling around my mind. He watched me... Something I would usually find creepy but... But knowing he was there... It's comforting. 

It doesn't fix the wound that gapes from his absence. Nor does it erase the memories I have of my mother crying herself to sleep. But it's a step. A step forward. "Who are you scared of? What was stopping you?" 

He takes a step forward and this time... He does reach out. He rests a hand on my shoulder. "As a God... You learn many things. One thing I have learned is... The Fates have everything planned out. To interrupt them.. Or attempt to change one's fate... You either get the end result regardless. Or you end up with a worse one. Sometimes. You cannot change someone's fate. The best you can do is be there.. To guide them through it... To comfort them when it stings." 

"But you weren't there..." 

He closes his eyes. A single tear falling down his cheek. "I was not. And I am so sorry, Imena. But that warning is not about me and you. There will be fates that are cruel. There will be deaths you cannot avoid. Do not blame yourself. And do not blame yourself for the pain others feel of losing you. Your death was written in the stars even before you were born." 

My knees go a bit weak as I push myself forward. Hugging my father. I try to memorize everything about him. The smell of fresh sheets, the crinkle of his trench coat. How nice it feels to have a father. 

I close my eyes and try to imagine what it would be like if he was just a human. Would hugs like this be a daily thing? Would he smile more? Would I smile more?