Chapter 30

I sit up quickly, fumbling around in the sheets before I fall out. My heart hammers in my chest as I gather my wits. 

"Imena?" Percy yawns. He sits up, seeing me on the floor. "Woah. Are you okay?" 

I nod, standing up, I shake off the heebie jeebies. "Yeah. Yeah. Gaea has been... visiting me lately." 

Percy scowls. "Damn. You okay? What'd she want?" 

I dismiss him with a wave of my hand. "Oh, the usual. Join me or die. Blah, blah blah. I can offer you anything. Blah, blah blah. I'm a crusty musty ancient Goddess who gets her kicks on torturing children. Blah, blah blah." 

"I'm pretty sure that last part was improvised." he snorts. 

I stand up. Stretching out my limbs. "We should wake up Hazel and see if Frank is okay." 

I gently nudge her awake. After a few nudges, she groans. "Already? Can't we wait like five more minutes?" 

While Hazel got awake, I took the time to go to the bathroom and try to freshen up, including the best shower I have ever had. I changed into a new pair of jeans and a baggy sweater I managed to save from the chariot crash. 

Hazel went after me, and Percy after her. Her curls looked absolutely gorgeous when she got out. And Percy still looked the same. 

We walk over to Frank's grandma's room. I knock on the door as politely as I can.

"Well, come in." A voice says. "We don't have all day and you lot already slept in." 

I open the door. Seeing an asleep Frank on the floor and his grandmother in bed. She has such a... well. I can't describe her vibe. But the way she looks at me makes me feel like I've done something wrong, and I have the urge to apologize. 

"Uhm..." I clear my throat. "Hello... Ma'am." 

Percy raises an eyebrow at me. 

"-We were just here to check on Frank." 

Grandma Zhang sighs. "He's preoccupied at the moment. He'll wake soon. In the meantime, there is just a little bit of food left and there's weapons in the attic. Go make use of them." 

Percy nods. "Thank you ma'am." 

She cuts him off. "No more of that ma'am nonsense. I do not need to feel older than I already do." 

 "Well we appreciate the weapons. We'll have those ogres out of here in no time." Hazel assures her. 

Grandma Zhang nods. "I should hope so. They're ruining my daffodils. I can't die knowing my garden will go too." 

"You aren't dying-" 

Hazel's assurance is cut off as she raises a hand. "I am. I have pushed it off to wait for him. I have told him what I need to. When you leave, I shall die." 

She seems so calm about it. So... accepting. "Aren't you scared?" I ask with a small frown. 

"No, child. I am old. I have lived a long life, and unlike most, I know what waits for me in the afterlife. I am more than ready to go to Elysium." 

She pauses, her face softening. "Tell me. Frank... He's always held back from his true potential. Is this still true?" 

Hazel steps forward. "Frank has much potential to grow into. But he's also one of the kindest and strongest people I know." 

Grandma Zhang gives Hazel a knowing look, and I'm pretty sure she realized the feelings that Hazel has. Even if Hazel doesn't realize them. 

She nods. "I am content. Now, go. Go. To the attic, choose whatever you want. Feel free to keep something. No time to waste."