Chapter 7 Midnight

I sit there not knowing what to do my clan has never had a vigil in a long time, and that's Ratpaws mentor seeing her sad just hurts me. I sit down trying to show as much respect to the fallen as I can but the words of Brightstar ring in my ear the thought if not saddening but also joyous.

 I can go back to mudclan soon, I just hope my head survives the journey I watch Brightstar talking with that strange cat only to realize that scent. That's the cat that was with Tortiosepaw who is he I need to talk to him, but should I reveal that I was spying on him, it doesn't seem like he recognizes me. 

As I watch a cat with a greyish coat and spots come out of the exit to camp that must be the deputy spangled something, as he and Brightstar head to the end of the camp near his den leaving Buddy alone.

  Now's a better time than any as I walk over to him stumbling a bit he perks up at me, and gives me this look as if he is trying to remember who I am "Hey you what's your name!?" I ask sternly he looks side to side as if I'm a lost kit and he's trying to find my mother "Apologies I'm Buddy what's your name friend?" He says with a smile something about it though feels fake and I thought Dirtscar was weird.

 "I'm mudpaw what are you doing here" I ask trying to get more info out of him "Well I'm just here trying to help out, that poor cat Whiteclaw was injured and I was trying to find help Unfortunately we couldn't get to him in time. Must have been those mud clan cats." His words sting me with anger and his ignorant look doesn't fool me.

 he has to be trying to get a rise out of me I cant show any anger "whatever you say, you wouldn't have happened to see any other cats out their did you." I say probing for an answer he looks up to the sky as if he's trying to remember "nope I feel like I would remember if saw someone else, your quite curious for a small apprentice" he say teasingly.

 I'm not short for apprentice my sister and Stonepaw may be big but I'm average height, no stop he's just trying to get in your head "something about you" before I can finish I see Ratpaw slowly walking away from the corpse of Whiteclaw I turn to buddy and say "this isn't over" as I walk over to Ratpaw not waiting for Buddy to respond.

 As I get closer to her she is sitting down look to the ground "hey ah you gonna be okay?" I ask with concern she doesnt look back to me she just states "no." 

"do you wanna talk about it I hear having some cat to talk to can help" I say trying to get her to at least open up, "can you just leave me Mudpaw!" she exclaims with annoyance I take a step back "im sorry if he was your family, I hope he can find peace I know what its like to lose family my father died when I was just a kit " I say trying to relate.

However though I have no real experience of death nor did I even know my father she finally turns to me her face filled anger "you have know idea what its like to lose, you still have your mother and your sister I had to be raised a survivor a nothing! With no kin gosh just leave me alone!" she yells as she swipes her paw at me striking me on the cheek.

 I feel the sting of blood flow from my face, her face going from anger to regret as the cats in the camp stop what their doing to stare. As I look around to see the deputy Striding over me his face giving no emotion but fury.

 "I knew you'd cause some trouble!" As he comes between me and Ratpaw he unsheathes his claws their size as terrifying as his gaze, "Brightstar should have left you to rot in the river" as he goes to lunge at me I dodge quickly my size being my only advantage.

 as I look around I see cats cheering and disagreeing about this fight I had no intention of causing, "you should really focus more on your opponent" as the deputy swipes at me hitting my side causing a  wound to rupture I unsheathe my claws if I'm forced to fight him then I might as well try not to die.