Chapter ¹⁶

I was looking at myself in a full-length mirror, examining how the dress looked on me. Although it was difficult for me to admit, the Cullens had an impeccable sense of fashion. Suddenly, someone knocked on the door, interrupting my inspection. "Come in," I said, knowing they could hear me.

Emmett and Rosalie walked in but stopped in their tracks when they saw me. "Uh... Hello?" I waved my hands to get their attention. They were still stunned, so I decided to leave without trying again. What was the point? After all, I was staying with a group of vampire kidnappers. I made up my mind to get through this dinner, or whatever they wanted to call it. So I left the room, already aware of where I was heading.

I went down the stairs and headed to the dining room, where I saw a plate of food set up in an extremely elegant way. The dining room was decorated with red rose petals scattered on the floor, vases filled with red roses in different spots, a nice tropical breeze scent wafting around the room, and, lastly, the dining table was set up with candles and silverware placed neatly.

"Do you like it?" My body quickly turned to see all of the Cullens standing behind me in their elegant attire. I would also say they all look exquisite, although I don't want to admit it. They stared at me unblinkingly awaiting my answer.

Not wanting to piss them off with my smart mouth, I decided to be honest. "It looks good. You all went all out on the decorations." I mumbled the last part but still appreciated the hard work and its beauty.

Alice jumped towards me twirling me around in circles with her. "Look at you, so beautiful! The dress suits you very well, my sweets." Alice exclaims. I could only slightly nod as I was becoming dizzy from the fast pace. "Calm down, Alice. We don't want to make her dizzy or sick before dinner." Esme states.

Alice stopped twirling me and held me against her as I waited for the room to stop spinning. Once I could see straight, I backed away from Alice's hold. "I'm fine" I mumbled. It was silent for a good five minutes before Rosalie spoke up.

Rosalie's voice cut through the silence, "Let's get straight to dinner," she announced as she led me to the decorated table. Jasper, with a smile on his face, pulled out a chair for me, which I thanked him for before taking my seat.

The fragrance of the food traveled throughout the room, making my stomach growl in anticipation. Everyone settled down in their respective seats, but It was an extremely awkward situation for me as I noticed that I was the only one eating out of the nine of us.

Of course, they don't eat food but I expected them to eat food mixed with blood or drink a glass of blood instead of staring at me. They're probably waiting for me to take a bite. I picked up the fork from beside the plate and took a scoop of the meat then placed it in my mouth.

As I took a bite of the meat, I was overwhelmed by the flavors. It was as if the meat had been cooked by heaven themselves. I savored the taste,  taking another bite of the meat then the mashed potatoes and greens. Emmett, noticing my satisfaction, asked, "Is it to your taste, Buttercup?" Unable to talk due to food in my mouth, I simply nodded in agreement. I never expected a meal from vampires, who didn't need to eat, to be this amazing.

Esme's cheeks lit up with a radiant smile as the love of her life expressed how much she savored the food she had cooked for her. "I'm relieved that you like it! Would you like to take a sip of water? We have some ice water for you since you're still young to be drinking wine." My mouth was ready to say something smart like, "Am I not too young to be courted or more like force me to be with you all?" but I decided to hold my tongue.

As I sat there, lost in thought, I couldn't help but feel that Edward was reading my mind. I knew he would tell them everything himself, just like he always does. In an attempt to calm myself before I say something stupid, I reach for the glass in front of me. I lifted it to my lips and took a few sips, feeling the liquid slide down my throat before carefully placing it back down on the table.