Ch. 2: Baseball

Alizey's P.O.V.

"Kitne dinon se aayi nahin ho. Aao na. Main chhule pe kuch laga doongi," Bilal's mother urged sweetly.
(You haven't come over in so long. Come. I'll put something to cook on the stove)

After Irtaza and I met up with his Chachi and Bilal, we were leaving to go back to our office to get to our cars. Irtaza had requested I meet with his aunt. She had some questions about her siblings immigrating here and wanted me to ask if Mamu could assist her with it since he helps people in our community regarding these matters.

"Phir kabhi, Aunty. Shukriya," I denied politely.
(Some other time. Thank you)

"Kyun? Tumhare shohar ke wajah se? Irtaza bataya tha mujhe uskey baare mein. Ussey bhi bulaalo."
(Why? Because of your husband? Irtaza told me about him. Invite him as well)

My small smile faded at the mentioning of my husband. I could feel Irtaza studying me as though noticing immediately.

"Darasal woh ghar pahunch gaye honge. Phir kabhi."
(He must've reached home already. Next time)

She nodded understandingly before bidding me farewell and telling Irtaza she would see him at home. She went to her car, tugging on a gleeful Bilal's hand, whose other hand was occupied with an already nearly empty cookies and cream Frappuccino.

Irtaza and I waited at the crosswalk for the signal to change.

"How's Fawad?"

"He's good," I answered without looking at him.

Irtaza nodded. "Any plans for after work?"

I shook my head, curling my lips inward. "You?"

"Gotta catch up on my assignments," he sighed.

"This is your second semester, right?"

"Yup. Two more to go after this."

"Then back to Pakistan?"

"Back to Pakistan."

"How does that make you feel?" I asked while we crossed the street.

"I'll miss it here. It was a different vibe. Hard, but still nice. You get used to it. Leaving behind places and people that you get close to, it's difficult; I still get homesick, but I know I'll miss everyone and everything here when it's time to go back."

I smiled sadly as I reflected. "That's life, isn't it? We meet these people who become so close to our hearts only for them to leave us," or for us to leave them.

"That reminds me of a song my Nana used to listen to when I was little. He used to have this old gramophone which he would use to listen to old songs."

"What was the song?"

"🎶'Jeevan ke safar mein rahi milte hai bichchad jaane ko, aur de jaate hain yaadein tanhai mein tadpane ko.'🎶"
(In the journey of life, we meet people only to separate from them, and they give us memories to torment us when we are alone)

I felt my eyes start to water as I thought about the lyrics. "It's true. Everything is temporary. Koi dair tak saath nahin chalta. Ek na ek din chale hi jaate hai."
(People don't stick around for too long. They end up leaving some day)

"Hmm," he nodded in agreement. "My grandfather really liked that song. He used to listen to it often after my grandmother passed away."

"It must've been tough."

"I don't think he suffered too long without her. He passed away a few weeks after her... You know? There's something I noticed. Husband and wife that have really deep love can't really stay apart for too long. If one passes, the other follows soon after, especially if they're old. I've seen it a lot."