Ch. 4: Phoenix

🎶"Maine pehle jo tujhse kahi na, keh raha hai dil wahi na. Haqq bhi tujh pe, shak bhi tujh pe, mujhko toh sudh budh rahi na. Tu jo dikhe kya hai wahi na? Dil mein uljhaan hai yehi na. Tu wahi hai, main wahi hoon, par yeh duniya woh rahi na. Tu badal deti hai mausam, zakhm tu hai, tu hai marham. Dekh tujhpe hi dobara, yaar, marjaoon kahi na. Aag sulge chahaton ki raha mein sab rahaton ki. Yaara, hai tere nishaan hi nishaan. Mera ruaan ruaan ab tere naa likhna.
(What I never told you, my heart is saying just that. I exercise my right on you, I doubt you, I can no longer think clearly. What you appear, that is what you are, right? This is the conflict in my heart. You remain you, I remain me, but this world no longer remains the same. You change the seasons, you are my wounds, you are the ointment. I fear if I look at you again, I might die. The fire of desire burns in the path of all comfort. There are traces of you everywhere, my beloved. I want to write every atom of mine in your name)"🎶

- Ruaan | Irshad Kamil | Arijit Singh

Alizey P.O.V.

"The mango habanero one was my favorite," Harris licked his fingers.

Fawad and Harris continued racking up piles of chicken bones while I watched, amused. I was full after eating just six, but they were probably on their 13th wing.

It was Thursday. My husband and I were meeting up for a dinner with my cousin at a wing place since it had been some time since we had seen him.

"You're done already?" Fawad asked me, dipping the chicken in ranch.

"Yeah."

"Have one more."

"I'm full, baby. I don't want anymore."

Harris snickered, stifling a laugh at the word of endearment.

"Khikhikhi karna band karo," I scolded him out of embarrassment.
(Stop laughing)

Fawad smirked before taking another bite.

"When did things change, if you don't mind me asking?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You know, this," he gestured at Fawad and I, "was arranged. When did it turn into love?" I looked at Fawad with soft eyes until Harris suddenly added, "Well, maybe I should direct the question to you, Bhai, cuz Zey's always had a crush on you."

My eyes widened, "Harris!"

"Really?" Fawad probed, smug.

"Harris," I growled.

"After the first day she saw you at the mechanic shop, she asked me about you. She wanted to know everything."

"No, I didn't!"

"Yes, you did. Then whenever you came over to my house and she saw you, the way she was looking at you, I knew she was in trouble. That's when you were engaged to Tahir Bhai, Zey."

"Harris."

"And?" Fawad pressed, mischief filling his eyes.

"She was hella defensive over you too-"

"Okay, that's enough. Fawad, can you let me out? I need to go to the restroom," I stood up with a pout. We were sat in a booth, and I was sandwiched between Fawad and the wall.

Fawad chuckled then let me out. I muttered to myself while scrunching my face at my cousin, making him laugh.

After I used the toilet, I found my period was over. I had only spotted the last two days. It was the lightest and fastest cycle of my life.

Welp. I wasn't complaining.

I washed my hands then returned to the booth. Fawad let me slide in then he wrapped his arms around my waist, making me lean my back against his front. His lips pressed to my cheek.