Chapter 1: Having my freedom.

I see the huge blue metal gate with a small door opening for me from outside, which says central jail on the outside of it. I got to feel the freedom after one year six months of imprisonment for robbery case. I was able to see the wide-open world after many days. The same old breeze flowing over my face till now feels refreshing. My eyes which were habituated to see the closed gates, high walls and guarding police everywhere, suddenly felt happy to see the open skies.

I started to walk towards an autorickshaw and got in to it thinking that my life would be great once I go to my native village Lakkapally which is a remote village and the place where I hid the looted gold and cash that I robbed for which I risked my life in the prison.

I know that, I did not go to the prison for the loot I have done but for the small theft that I have not done. Yet, I decided to surrender because I had no other choice. And my imprisonment time was spent well on learning things which I need to grow in life and now I am free to go. I remembered how I hid the looted gold and diamonds in a secret place which is only known to me and only I have the access to the place. I also had some amount of cash in my house hid safely.

Finally, with the future hopes and plans I boarded the only bus that goes to my village daily twice (once in the morning and evening). The bus started to move and so is my hopes and plans for the future. I planned everything while I was in jail. I had lot of time on hand to think peacefully.

I planned to work for one year after I reach my village. I decided that I would sincerely work in the small poultry farm near our village and try to remove the bad image I will be have because of going to jail in the village. I will make sure to earn the trust of everyone. I would try to be genuine and free from any temptations I had once. After few years of working and settling down, I would marry Swathi, my childhood crush and eventually use the gold and cash I had to establish a timber depot named after her and me "Swathi and Surya Timber Depot." near my village and settle.

With this long and time taking plan in mind, I got down from the bus near the entry of our village. Where a small pan shop is present and my friend Ravi, the owner of the pan shop is the only friend I have whom I care in the village apart from Swathi.

I went to the pan shop but my friend was not there. I enquired about Ravi and got to know that he sold his pan shop to someone from the village and went to city in search of the job which makes him more money.

With Ravi gone out of the village. The only purpose of me going into the village is to see Swathi. I directly went to the street where Swathi's house is located. There are some differences in the village in the one and half year, while I was in prison. The Swathi's house used to be old and shaggy but now its clean and painted well. Seems like the Swathi's father started to earn better than earlier.

I tried to see Swathi but all my attempts failed and I decided I would go to my house at last. My house looked like a haunted house which was not cleaned for many days and I was very tired of the journey I had. I decided I would visit my only distant relative Rajyam Aunt, who is in her 50's and is a widow. She lives alone and has a sharp tongue and all the villagers fear to speak against her. It is the only place I can sleep tonight and rest.

I visited Rajyam Aunt, she enquired about my whereabouts and my life in the jail and cried a lot while holding me. She then asked me to eat the food she prepared. I ate the food and sat in front of the house under the neem tree along with aunt. With neem tree's cool breeze flowing gently over my face, I leaned back in the chair and started staring at the sky. I spoke, "I should live my life afresh from now on with dignity and hard work". Rajyam Aunt, supported my statement and gave me idea to join the small agriculture labor group they have in the village. From this group in the village the total labor for the village agriculture and the nearby villages agricultural fields labor needs are met. I agreed to her suggestion to join the labor group as to mingle with the villagers and lead a respectable life by gaining their trust and clear my bad reputation.

After the conversation, I laid on the veranda in front of the house where the huge neem tree's cool breeze sung the lullaby to me. But, before going to sleep I felt bad that I could not see the two important persons (Ravi and Swathi) and my reason to come back to the village.

In the morning, I went to Ravi's house to meet his wife Latha and enquired about the Ravi's whereabouts. Latha was happy to see me and as we talk, Ravi's six-year-old son "Chandram" came. He immediately came to me and started to push me out of the house and started to shout "Don't come to my house... Why all of you are visiting our house". Meanwhile, Latha scolded Chandram and asked him to go outside and play. I was shocked at the way he treated me and even did not recognize me.

Latha told that, six months after I went to prison. Ravi started to behave differently for few days and sold his pan shop. He said, he would not stay in the village anymore and wants to do a decent job in the city and he would go first to the city and later after settling things he would come back to the village and take her and his son.

He did not return after he went to the city but sends money order and calls once a month to the telephone in the Groceries store at the end of the street and speak with them. Even though after multiple times asking about his return, he said it was not the correct time. She also told that last time when he called, he asked about me and would want me to talk next time when he calls.

I asked whether she has any idea about the topic he wants to talk about for which she nodded in no.

I left Ravi's house and went to meet Swathi. This time my luck is good, while I entered her street Swathi started to walk out of her house and started to walk towards crops fields leading out of the village.

I slowly followed her at some distance and when we reached fields and no one is around I tried to approach her and called her name "Swathi". Suddenly, she stopped walking and turned towards me and I finally got to see her face. 

I could clearly see the happiness in her face. To my surprise, she came running towards me and hugged and kissed all over my face and suddenly stopped everything and ran back to the place where she was standing earlier and turned her face away. 

For a moment I lost track of what is happening. After a moment, I shouted her name Swathi !!! out loud many times but she did not turn her face. I went up to her and tried to turn her over to my side by placing my hand on her shoulder. 

But, when I did she was terrified as if some stranger got hold of her. She saw me as if I made a mistake and she is furious about it mixing with a strange look on her face, she shouted "leave me!!... leave me alone!!..." and started to run away from there in to the fields...

to be continued...