Chapter 2. The Flashback

I followed her into the fields, she ran so fast that I could not keep up with her speed and lost sight of her. I tried to search around that area but could not find her. After a while I left the place thinking about what has happened just now.

Swathi likes me but never dared to behave in such a manner and I could not understand her emotions as she at first felt happy upon my arrival and after her kissing and hugging me, she started to behave as if she hated me for something I have done wrong to her.

Swathi was calm and peace-loving person. From what I know about her, from the age of thirteen years (Swathi-Surya has same age) till I went to jail, she never behaved like this ever. We liked each other from an early age. She always understands my situation and behaves according to my situation.

I was very decent before I got into prison and never had any criminal records nor any bad intentions in my life. Earlier, everyone used to respect me for my hardworking nature and attitude towards life and my helping nature. But, because of some situations I had to rob a huge amount gold and diamonds from the abandoned house (owners went missing eighty years back) in our village which is famous for being haunted and I got lucky one day trying to find the hen that I used to grow in my backyard.

One evening, one of my hens got into this haunted house while trying to escape from me. I went inside the house without any thought as I would not believe any superstitions.

While entering the house I had some acute headache which I never had in my life again. But in a few minutes, it got normal and I felt okay. While going through the rooms I accidentally touched a statue of a women which is very beautiful. When I touched it felt very cold but the next moment I got my eyes to a safe which had all the gold (around 4-5kgs) and few diamonds (value in crores). I was surprised to see all these treasures and immediately thought I would secretly carry them to my house and later plan to sell these in the city or in some black market to make huge cash for myself and Swathi.

I tried to leave the house around 8 p.m. in the night after carefully packing the gold and diamonds in a bag which I found in there. While I was leaving I was very careful and cautious as to not get caught by any one. Being a remote village, the streets of our village would be pretty dark even after 7 p.m. because there will not be any street lights and mostly people believe in rumors of this house being haunted so no one comes this side of the street. So, no one saw me while I was leaving. I directly went to the back yard of my house (My house is a tiled house with a five feet compound wall around the space in front of the house and the backyard in a square form) and dig a pit near my mango tree and buried all the gold and diamonds in it. After I washed myself and when I entered my house from the back door. Someone knocked on my house's main door. I was tensed and slightly shivering as someone might have seen me coming out of the haunted house with the loot.

But to my surprise it was Swathi who knocked my door. I asked why are you here at this hour in the night (it was around 9:30 p.m.). It would be bad for your reputation if someone finds out. No one in the village know that we both love each other. "No one can see me", she said. And she then entered my house and closed the main door and confronted me saying "what did you do today?". I was shocked and tension slowly started to grow and don't know the reason but my spine in the back shivered a lot and with stammering voice I could not speak properly.

Swathi asked, "What did you steal from the haunted house?". I finally came to conclusion that I was caught by her and I would say all that has happened. After, I explained what has happened. So, you did not go to steal anything into the house but you accidentally saw a treasure near a statue. After listening to my side of story, she asked, "what did you do to the treasure?". I said that I buried it in the backyard but did not give her exact location but if she visits the backyard now, it would be clear as of where did I dig.