03. assassination attempt and treason

chapter three!

chapter three!

03. assassination attempt and treason

─────────────────────────────────────────────

THE SOUND OF SPEEDERS AND PASSING SHIPS were not enough to lull Soka to sleep that night. Having already sent a comm to Senator Chuchi for them to meet up, Soka's racing mind was preventing her from being able to go to sleep.

What would she say to the Senate? Making them at least believe her would be a tough challenge.

Soka sat in bed, pondering over her datapad, and not noticing the probe droid that arrived and was watching from her window. The eye of the droid blinked a faded red, its gaze leaving a burning feeling running down Soka's back.

After a few minutes of feeling that way, Soka looked up from her datapad, slowly gazing around her room as she tried to find the reason for the lava trailing down her back. Her eyes finally locked with the faded red one, and a sharp gasp made its way out of her mouth.

As if on cue, a blaster shot leapt from the probe droid, smashing against the transparisteel window. The sound rang loud in Soka's ears, her heart picking up pace quickly. As if her mind was delayed on the matter, it took Soka a few seconds before opening her mouth and screaming just as a second blaster bolt fired against the window. The transparisteel window groaned in retaliation, the grating sound meshing with Soka's screams.

The door to her bedroom smashed against the wall from the force it was opened, briefly distracting Soka from the probe droid. Hands found their way to her shoulders and gripped them tightly as a third blaster shot cracked the transparisteel. Joqin's face was pressed close to hers, his face one of worry.

"-oka...! Soka...! Soka!" He roughly shook her shoulders, trying to bring her focus to him. Soka's pupils dilated and her gaze narrowed on Joqin. Her mouth opened, but instead of sound coming from her, the fourth blaster shot was heard instead, making the window crack further. Joqin, realizing how badly shocked Soka was, heaved her up from the bed and began to drag her with him towards her door.

This caused Soka to lurch back, a sob coming from her throat. "My datapad- my data... I need-" Joqin pushed Soka towards the door, causing her to stumble as he raced quickly back into the room and snatched the datapad from her bed.

The fifth and final blaster shot hit the transparisteel window and the shards flew through the air at the impact.

Joqin snatched Soka by the elbow, dragging her out of the room just as a shard flew and hit the doorframe where her head was just placed. Lights turned red above her, a shrill alarm taking over the speakers.

"Alert." A voice spoke calmly as Soka and Joqin sprinted down the hall, the red lights having finally kicked Soka back into her senses. "The perimeter has been breached. Please proceed to the safe rooms in a calm and orderly manner."