Gateway to Girlhood

p.s: the chapters hit different if you play the music linked above. KK ENJOYY

Fearless blasts from my mothers old boombox on my white makeup desk at the corner of my room. I twirl around my bedroom belting to the lyrics like an insane lunatic who lost their mind. Could you blame me? Only Taylor Swift could make me yell at the top of my lungs in the same vicinity as my new stepfather.

"AND I DON'T KNOW HOW IT GETS BETTER THAN THIS, YOU TAKE MY HAND AND DRAG MY HEADFIR-"

"SOFIA!" Hard banging comes from outside my bedroom door. "Are you ready? We leave in 10!" My mother says from the other side of the gateway to girlhood.

"Collette! Let the girl get ready in peace! It's her first day of senior year love....Oh for heaven's sake step away from the door." I hear stepfather Henry say.

"I'm almost ready! 5 minutes!" I yell, tying my braid down. I step back from my full length mirror and analyze myself. My wide light jeans were fitted perfectly, credits to my aunt who sewed it last week to sit on my hips comfortably. My long blond hair was in half up dutch braids with tiny white bows at the top and was waved down with the rest of my hair which settled down my pink top. A light baby pink tank that was held upright on my shoulders by 2 bows. Pink Nike dunks hid under the bottom of my jeans as I bent down to pick up my British Shorthair cat. "Do I look pretty Luna?" I ask her. I walk to my boombox and shut off 'Death By A Thousand Cuts' before skipping down the steps where my mother and stepfather were waiting for me.

"Well look at what we found at the end of the rainbow." My mom says handing me my backpack and taking Luna off my arms. I smile brightly at her.

"Now, make new friends, or don't if they don't like you for you" Henry says to me, giving me a side hug.

''I'll try." I say before cringing as Henry kisses my mom before leaving the room.

"I'll be home by 2!" He yells. My mom takes hold of my shoulders as she shakes her head.

"My baby's a senior'' She exclaims looking up to the heavens holding back tears. "Have a good day Sofia, have fun, make new friends, be respectful to your teachers-"

"I know I know mom." I say smiling at her. She smiles back at me kissing my forehead.

"I love you baby, have fun. Now go before you see your mother in this state." I laugh and open the front door "Love you!"