Hallway crashes

"So can you stay overnight later?'' I asked Marley once we walked out of Mr. Letterman's classroom.

"Umm...." Her eyesight sweeps the floor before looking back at me. "My dad actually is back in town.... And my mother would like us to spend time together."

"Oh."

I see her shove her hands into the pockets of her heather grey bomber jacket. I could tell she was uptight. But of what?

"It's ok, there's always next week." I smile at her and she returns it.

"So where'd you get this top?" She feels the fabric of my tank. Baby pink square neck top, with yellow daisies sprinkled around the arm and neck cuffs.

"Finally! I've been waiting all day for someone to ask that question!" I stand straighter and move my curled hair behind my shoulder. "Ya know how I told you my aunt was a seamstress? Well, she sewed it herself."

"Really?"

"Sent it to me just last weekend. I think she has some sort of company, or business."

"Hello? Tell me what it's called! Does she take custom orders? I've been looking for a maroon tank."

"Speaking of style ladies?" Asks a voice from behind us. Ralph steps in between Marley and I, and hooks an arm around my shoulder.

"Can't relate. I match my own clothes, like a big boy."

Marley groans annoyed, and I mean to say something back, but the fact that he slung his arm around me again for the second time this week stops me. I regain consciousness when a backpack brushes my hip.

"Really? Then I wouldn't be surprised if you went to school Monday in a cowboy hat and boots because that shirt says you're halfway there."

"What, this?" He brushes his palms against the gray and black plaid shirt. "Goldie, this is a fashion choice, ever heard of 'trend setting?"

"Ever heard of the country? Texas is South Wreck It."

"Wreck It?" He asks, cheeks pink.

I nod about 10 times, "yeah, like the character? Wreck It Ralph?"

"Oh har har." He rolls his chestnut glazed eyes. "Didn't put you as the video game type."

"I'm not, only before my dad used to play with me when I was little.''

"Used to? What happened?" His voice was suddenly low, and soft. Like he was whispering to a baby animal.

''He died a while back. 5 years ago, a heart attack.''

"Oh, I'm sorry." Voice even quieter. We walked a little more.

"It's alright."

We continue to walk in silence until something forces me to touch him. Him being so interestingly close to me has me wanting to feel him. So I flick the side of his abdomen. I glance up at him, seeking a reaction. His lips are pursed together, cheeks unbelievably pink. His eyes slide to mine right before a loud slam crashes in front of us. I lift my head to Liza's palm square on a locker.

"STOP. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU" She was practically yelling, shaking her head around, causing his shiny black hair to whip around. "DON'T TOUCH ME EVER AGAIN SLUT." People gasp around us, everyone was looking now. The person she was talking to looks around, turning his head around the crowd. That's when I notice that it's Drew, eyebrows are knitted together, and eyes beat red. He turns back around to face Liza and steps forward, inches from her face. I see his lips moving but I can't hear anything. He moves his face beside her ear, speaking more. Liza grinds her teeth, and her hand fists into a ball under the sleeves of her racer leather jacket. Then suddenly she shoves him away from her, banging into a locker behind him. I can't see his face, but he pushes off the locker, and shoves Liza back.

"Yo what the hell?" I hear a male voice from behind us shout. I feel Ralph's arm move around my shoulder and he's taking a step toward them before a flash of orange appears. Daniel reaches Drew first, shoving him so hard he falls to the floor.

"You don't hit girls, man! He yells, stepping in front of Liza.

Drew gets back up on his feet just as quickly as he fell. "and who the fuck are you!?"

"I'm her boyfriend." He states, crossing his arms.

"Like hell." He looks at Liza, eyebrows furrowed together. There's this look in his eyes, panicked? pleading? He's asking her to confirm with only his eyes. But it's clear to me that he loves her, in his strange deranged way.

Liza only hugs herself around her middle, keeping her head down. "We are, now don't come near me again," she finally lets out. Drew sorta just stands there, anxious looking, arms swinging slightly, feet rocking him forward and back until he finally walks away, running his hands through his dark hair. I rush to Liza as Ralph makes his way to Daniel.

"Are you ok?" I ask her. I'm holding her elbows, which are still wrapped around her stomach. She only looks at me until she steps to my side, grabs Daniels arm and drags him down the hallway, him tripping, trailing behind her.