Chapter One

I felt a sack of flour fall on me, followed by eggs and paint.

"Congratulations!" my friends shouted.

I had just graduated with a degree in English and a month before that as a music producer, but very few people knew that, only my closest friends. After several years of struggling through high school and then college, it had been difficult. At the age of 23, I was giving up a career that I loved and that made me happy.

"Stop it, please." I said, turning around because I didn't want to get egg on my face.

"I waited two years after my graduation to do this." my best friend said, laughing.

Everyone finished throwing paint, flour, coloured powder and other things at me; I turned to look at them. It is customary in Argentina to have all kinds of things thrown at you when you graduate.

My friends and sisters came over to take a picture of us all together. I grabbed my 17-year-old sister.

"I've got you." I said, hugging her and filling her with flour, egg and paint.

"I'm going to kill you, Emma." she said angrily, trying to hit me.

"Don't even think about it, it's my day." I said, shaking her hair.

"I'm going to get you for this." she said, trying to get some flour out of her hair. I started to laugh.

After taking lots of pictures with all my family and friends, we went home with my two best friends, my mum and my sisters, as I had to clean up and get ready for the dinner party with the whole family, including cousins and my dad. Even though my parents have been divorced since I was a baby, this was a special occasion. As much as my mother hates my dad it was my party and I wanted them both to be there. My closest friends would be there too. They are the family you choose.

I got home and went straight into the bathroom to take off all my clothes and clean myself up. I had managed to get everything off my body and the clothes were basically to be thrown away. But I couldn't get it all out of my hair, so I put on a swimsuit and my friends got it all out of my hair.

"It's a good thing your hair isn't as long as it used to be or this would have been torture." May said as she pulled lumps of flour and egg out of my hair.

"I know." I said as I washed my arms. There was nothing else on them, but I was disgusted and didn't want any egg residue left there.

After a while of May and Eve wrestling with my hair, they got all the physical stuff out and I set about washing. I used shampoo three times and then a repair cream as it had been ruined by all the other stuff.

I got out of the shower, put on my underwear and robe to see what I was going to wear.

"I think you could wear the dress your grandmother gave you." Eve said. I looked at her for a few seconds.

"Yes... maybe... with the heels I wore to the New Year's party and the bag you gave me for my birthday." I said, putting the look together.

"Yes, and the make-up you could do something with a touch of colour but soft." May suggested. I smiled with excitement.

"Thanks girls." I said and hugged them.

I went to the dressing room and started to get dressed. Once I was dressed, I started to put on my make-up and then painted my nails while my friends put my hair together.

As I was getting ready, I heard the doorbell ring several times. My family and friends were probably already there. I didn't hurry because it was my moment and people could wait a few more minutes.