Chapter 20

Alex

That was all a bit feisty wasn't it, I mean standing up, huffing and puffing telling me I was harassing her? Jeez-us, all I did was squeeze her thigh and it felt good. Her legs are toned, I bet she works out a lot. Now my mind is wandering to her in skintight leggings in my home gym and some kind of bralette exercise top.

"Are you listening, Stone?" I am brought back by the sound of Coaches voice.

"Run that by me again." I say as Madison glares at me.

"I said, I want you at the rink by seven sharp tomorrow morning with the photoshoot for you both after, I need you there early. The rest of the time will be there too so don't think I'm calling you out." Coach looks mean when he's being serious, but I know he has a heart of gold. He took me in and under his wing when my stepdad first ever brought me to see him, back in the day when I was still a teenager and in high school, making my name for myself already back then.

Coach told my stepdad that I definitely had potential and to bring me back when I was eighteen and that he'd put me on the practice sessions with his team at the time. I did good and he instantly accepted to be my coach. It didn't take long during my college days to be in the press and getting myself recognized all over social, the scouts came sniffing around often and with coach's sway, I got chosen for Colorado. A kid's dreams can come true, especially if you work for it and are focused. Dedication was the name of the game, and it still is today. I don't allow for distractions.

Sure, I like to party, I like the ladies I mean seriously like the ladies, so Madi's comments about not seeing anyone for six months, that is going to be tough. Like seriously tough. I'll have to sneak around; it'll be like being in my teenage years again. Although, if I get caught, I'll be fucking busted and coach and Levi will have a fit.

"Yeah, I'll be there. What time is our shoot again?"

Coach rolls his eyes, "I'm moving it to eleven to give you time on the ice and to hit the gym. We travel following day."

That bit I do know, I'm well up on my schedule and the game in Austin will be a game changer if we win. It'll put us points ahead only they're a pretty strong team with a good defense team, but my guys they're pretty shit hot even if I say it myself.

"You better share the schedule with me." Madi says.

"I'll email it to you." Coach says. Levi asks for the bill; we're pretty much done here for the night.

"Er, what kind of shoot is it tomorrow?" Madi asks.

Coach replies. "It's for Hola magazine, a center spread. They want to come to the house too but that has to wait until after Austin." I groan. Coach raises his eyebrows.

"Something wrong, Stone?"

"No, Sir. Just, to the house, really?"

"Yes, really." Levi lays his black Amex card down on the small, delicate plate with the bill for dinner.

"Right, let's call it a night. We all have to be up nice and early. I'm catching a flight back to New York." That's where Levi lives now. He was living here in Aspen but when he met his wife some years ago and her fashion business being in New York, they decided to split their time between the two places. That man, I swear, sees the inside of his private jet more times than I have hot meals.

We all get up, and I move to pull out Madi's chair for her to allow her to stand. "Chivalry, well, well, well. Didn't think you had it in you, Stone." Her voice is laced with acid sarcasm.

"You'd be surprised what I've got in me, Lane."

"Guys, remember to put on a good front going out. You know there's going to be all sorts of folk trying to get pictures of you." I nod and Madi rolls her eyes, it's kind of cute actually.

I place a hand on her lower back and guide her through the tables to the front door with coach and Levi behind us. Madi is stiff as a board, I sure know how to loosen this doll up. I chuckle.

"Something funny asshole?" She says through gritted teeth yet with a fake smile plastered on her face.

"Oh, nothing Petal. Only, you feel a little tense and pent up, I can help you with that."

"Fuck off you jerk."

"That's not friendly especially from my girlfriend."

"I am as much your girlfriend as Elvis is alive."

"Smile, we're at the door. How about a kiss?"

"You can kiss your ass." That makes me throw my head back and laugh.

I open the door for her, and we step outside. Levi was right, there are a few people milling around outside with their mobile phones in their hands.

A teenage girl runs up to me. "Alex, can I have your autograph please?" She's all smiles and fluttering eyelashes.

"Honestly." I hear Madison say under breath. I raise my eyebrows at her.

"Are you jealous, Petal?" Then I turn my attention to the young girl who is already thrusting a pen into my hand and a notebook.

"Can you write to Tilly with love, Alex please?"

"Absolutely I can." I take the pen and the notepad from her and write in the front.

"And can I have a selfie with you too please? My friends will go wild when I show them." Her eyes are full of merriment, it's kind of cool to make someone's day. All the people around you most of the time can be irritating, but when you see someone so happy just because they can have a picture with you, it melts your heart.

I remember being a kid and chasing around trying to catch our hockey players to get their autographs. I've got some of the greats in my notebooks and signed photos that I had framed and have in my office back home.

Madison moves away to allow for Tilly to stand next to me, I wrap an arm around her as she snaps the photo. "Thank you so much, Alex." She skips off overjoyed with herself.

"You can be quite nice when you want to be." Madi says.

"Come here, let me put my arm around you."

"Is it absolutely necessary?"

"If you want to convince the public, then yes." I whisper in her ear. Her lips part. Did I just witness that, lips parting, eyes almost dilating all just from a whisper in her ear? You bet I did. Perhaps the ice maiden is not made completely out of ice after all.

My driver is waiting holding the car door open. "Just one more picture please, Alex." A reporter shouts out. I don't recognize him, usually it's the same crowd hankering after pics and short interviews.

"Of course." I say putting on my widest smile for them. "Smile, Madi. You're on camera."

"You're going to fucking pay for this douchebag." She hisses but keeps her fake smile firmly on her face, I apply a little more pressure to her lower back. Still stiff as a board. I'm going to have to work on my touch, that's for sure.