|02| spearmint

I come back home from school, thoughts racing through my head. What the hell? This will be the first time in my life I have failed an exam, I'm sure of it.

I open the door to find Grandad placing a cup of tea in front of a girl. She's sniffing and coughing. That girl probably has the flu and Grandad is treating her with herbal ginger tea.

"Francisco it's four o'clock. You've spent an hour getting home from school while school is only ten minutes away?"

"Sorry Grandad," I grumble. "I was out with my friends. We went to the chippy."

Grandad shoots me a look of disapproval. "Are you aware of how I do not allow you to eat junk food from unknown companies because of their unknown ingredients?"

"Come on, Grandad. It's only fish and chips. And coke."

"Your dinner is in the oven," he says, turning back to place a plate of homemade ginger biscuits in front of the ill girl.

I go round the counter to go to the kitchen and open up the oven to find a foil-covered plate of mashed potato and chicken breast with a big sludge of spinach on top, all organic and homemade. Grandad cares about these things even if it means spending triple the money you usually would on the most trusted organic food company.

As soon as I place my first forkful of chicken in my mouth, my eyes fall to a piece of paper lying on top of the dining table. I pick it up and read it.

To do:

Running out of the special spearmint herbs. Reminder to book plane tickets so I can go to Marrakesh to get some more.

Marrakesh? Where is that? I know for a fact it isn't in Portugal since Grandad made me study every town and city there. I sigh in disbelief. Grandad is keeping secrets from me and I don't like it.

My focus goes back to my food as I savour the chicken and creamy mash with the spinach sauce. Then, I wash it down with some peppermint tea.

"Francisco! There are two customers that both want rose tea."

A growl leaves my lips as I scrape the last bit of mash with spinach sauce and load the plate and cutlery into the dishwasher. Then I pour boiling water into two cups of rose tea herbs and rip two miniscule pieces of the Holin herb and cut two slices of lemon and put it in along with some fresh mint leaves.

"Francisco!" He calls my name again. "Another one!"

Irritation burns in my chest as I grab a glass cup to make one more. I'm so annoyed, the glass falls off my hand and breaks into pieces.

Goddammit. Just what I need. Grandad rushes to the kitchen after hearing the noise. He frowns, his brows furrowing.

"I'm sick of this," I yell.

"Sick of what?" Grandad looks hurt but I shake the guilt off.

"Sick of tea. I'm sick of this tea shop. Why do I have to work here without getting anything in return? I wish Mum and Dad were alive so I can live normally without having a job."

"Francisco."

"Why don't you employ some workers, Grandad? I'm tired of this."

"Francisco!"

I look up at him, the fury still burning within me. Whatever he says, I'm not working here anymore.

Grandad's eyes shine with tears. Why is he sad?

"This tea shop is special," he whispers. "We're the only people that have the Holin herb. No one knows what it is. The secret ingredient is the Holin herb."

"What does that have to do with me not wanting to work here anymore?" I shout.

"It's not just the Holin herb," he continues. "Our spearmint herbs too. That's why the Holin herb isn't needed when you're making spearmint tea. It's from a very special group of bushes, located in Marrakesh."

"Where's that?"

Grandad smiles. "Morocco. The holiday destination I used to go with your Grandma. We discovered the bushes and started the tea shop business all because of the special spearmint leaves. They cured your Grandma's illness at the time. Then we travelled back to Portugal and discovered the Holin herbs. We still have plenty of Holin herbs left. But we're running out of spearmint."

I scoff. It can't be that special. Can it? "You can easily buy them from the local supermarket."

"These spearmint herbs are special, Francisco. Now, you may leave. I will finish the orders myself."

I'm just about to turn to go when I remember the broken glass cup, so I crouch down to collect the pieces and bin them.

Grandad eyes me with an unknown emotion. "My daughter's child." Tears fill his eyes.

That's strange. Why is he calling me his daughter's child? It's true my mum was his daughter so he must just be remembering her.

"Do you think..." He hesitates to finish his question.

"Do I think what Grandad?"

"I'm getting old to travel. Do you think you're capable enough to travel alone? To collect the spearmint leaves from Marrakesh?"

I laugh, mockingly. "Do you think I'm going all the way to Morocco to grab a bunch of random herbs? You're crazy!"

"Along with learning some respect, you need to learn how to be independent, as well as responsible. You can also stop in Portugal on the way to visit your extended family."

"Grandad, I think I've made it clear that I'm not going."

Without looking at him, I leave the kitchen and walk past the queue of people waiting for their tea.

"Excuse me? Why is my drink taking so long?" a girl asks.

"Ask my Grandad, I don't work here anymore."

I walk out of the tea shop and lean against the brick wall.

I've had enough of working at this tea shop. I'll only work if I get paid. So that's it, I'll look for a job at a different tea shop where I will actually get paid.

A smirk creeps to my lips. Yeah, I need to be responsible, as Grandad had suggested just now.

~

A/N

hey, reader! thanks for reading. if you haven't already please vote for these chapters and comment your thoughts about them.

yeah, i know you're hating on francisco for being horrible to afonso, his grandad, but don't worry about that rn.

also, the following chapters will get better if you feel like the story is boring.

keep reading :)