STANCHION

stanchion, n.

I don't want to be the strong one, but I don't want to be the weak one, either. Why does it feel like it's always one or the other? When we embrace, one of us is always holding the other a little tighter.

"Dani, mummy's gonna be home

"Dani, mummy's gonna be home."

"Here wif us?" The toddler asks, while taking a spoon full of her mashed potatoes and chicken, her dinner that her mother cooked. While Michelle is finishing a stew.

"No, baby. At mummy's own house, you remember where grandma lives? The one with the swing?"

Her baby smiled, "I renenber, mama." She said, trying to mimic her mother's vocabulary.

"Is it okay with Dani if she stays there for a few days?" That's when her daughter frowns. Her feature, exactly the same as Anntonia.

"But mama you're gonna be alone here. It's sad." her daughter pouted.

That tugged at her heartstrings. The ex spouses knew their daughter was more attached to Michelle since Ann had always been out of the country. Dani has a closer bond with the short-haired woman, but Ann understands that's why she always makes sure that whenever she isn't able to be with her, she at least gives her daughter a call.

Michelle wiped her daughter's mouth, winking at her. "I'm gonna be fine here, peanut. I'm not gonna be sad, but when you're at mum's I'll call to say night night. Yeah?"

Her daughter pondered at her mother's suggestion. "But you not sad?"

"No, I won't be. I'll wait for you here. I just want you to have fun with mummy, okay?"

Her daughter nodded her head and continued eating her food. Anntonia had sent her the address, and it was the address of her parent's house. She thought Ann will get her own place, considering her girlfriend, Michelle sighed, no matter how many times she forces herself to get used to that fact, it still feels weird.

She didn't confront her about it when she found out, because she knew it's not her business anymore. Ann can date whoever she wants because she's single, legally at that. So when she saw them one time in New York, she tried her hardest not to feel something about it.

Anntonia left because she isn't happy with her anymore, it's like the spark was just gone, and before it gets toxic, and before they resent each other, Michelle signed the papers right away.

All that she knew was Ann's new significant other was a colleague of hers, a gallery director based in Los Angeles. All the while, Michelle couldn't get herself out there to get to know someone.

It's within her thoughts that she doesn't have the time for it because of work and it would be just a hassle for her. Besides, she's more than content with just spending her free time with her daughter.