New Journey, New Beginning

~2~

"Run faster!"

"Oh Holy Zeus, what is happening?!"

In the far distance, Tanoën could see the humongous mountain slowing down. The spewing of rocks began to cease slowly.

"Look it's slowing down!"

"Just keep going Tanoën, please don't stop!"

As they ran through the town, they saw the people rushing out into the open, wondering what all the commotion was about. Undoubtedly, they had all felt the tremors. A few children were crying. An old man stopped Ryder and asked him what was happening.

"We don't know yet Sir. But it would be best if you all stayed inside for a while."

They ran back as fast as they can, till they reached Tanoën's house. His mother was already outside, concerned about the whereabouts of her son.

"Ma! What just happened?"

"Come inside children! I have something to tell you."

Once inside, he asked, "So, what is it?"

"Ryder your Father had informed me yesterday that this might happen. Something is coming astir. And we have no idea what is it. We discussed that it is best if you three left tomorrow itself. We don't want anything happening to you. In fact the other families are doing the same as well, sending their children away to safer lands. The king's army itself is quite restless these days. We think it's an invasion, but we can't be sure yet."

Anxiety was written on the faces of the three.

"Children, I think you'd better begin the preparations for your journey."

                                                                ~~~~~~

"Oi! Ryder, where is your sac?", asked Tanoën.

"Right here! Where's Nina? I thought you told her to be here in an hour?"

"Yeah, I think she might be on the way. Are you sure you have everything?"

"I hope so."

"Okay then, let's go over the supplies. Apart from clothes, Mother has packed enough food to last us a week. We might be a little low on fluids but it should suffice. She says we could collect water from streams nearby, hoping that there are some streams nearby. Anyway, what have you got?"

"I've got a map and one of Father's compasses. He helped me map out a route through the Forest. But once we're out of there, we'll be on our own, because he has no idea of what lies beyond the Forest."

"That's a chance we'll have to take. C'mon, lets wait for Nina inside. It's getting pretty cold now."

" I hope it doesn't become difficult for her to reach your house Tanoën."

"I hope so, too."

And, as they were heading inside, someone shouted out, "Tanoën! Ryder! Where are you boys going?"

"Ah-ha Nina! About time you came. Come inside."

And so, they went inside into the warmth, where a lovely supper awaited them on the table. Tanoën's Mother was setting up the table, when she said, "Children, I think it's best if you start your journey tomorrow because it is getting pretty cold out now and it's safer to travel in daylight than during nightime."

"Sounds good to me Mother!"

With that, they began their last peaceful meal with a prayer to God.

                                                           ~~~~~
A/N okay yes I know I have not updated for months now (I can't even begin to say how sorry I am, I just got carried away with life). Anyway, I hope to resume soon, although I forgot where this story was headed. But no worries, I WILL start on the plot right away. Meanwhile I'll be working on a few short stories so check those out. Thank you