Chapter Fourteen

Imogen was our savior. Almost as though she knew that we wouldn't eat much in the castle, she had several meat pies ready for us. We both knew we needed the food, as we'd have to expend a lot of energy the next day in the race. But sleep didn't come, even with our bellies full. Carmen was rightfully a mess with the news of how her family had all been okay with the thought of her dying and spent a lot of time crying in all our arms. Only the realization that we were all a part of her family now helped her to calm down. But even then, it wasn't easy. We both slept fitfully, our minds whirling with thoughts of what might happen when the competition kicked off in the morning.

That didn't stop time from passing though, and when the sun rose up, we got more food and some tea before the trumpets started blaring once more. A representative from the palace found us in the common room where Carmen and I were trying to eat as fast as possible and informed us that we were being summoned to the fairgrounds for the start of the first challenge.

The fairgrounds were at the edge of the inland sea, on the west edge of the city, and were normally used for many of the local festivals. We walked there as a group. Imogen led the way, Jana next to us, and Alba behind us. We walked slowly to let Alba keep up with her limp but were still there in plenty of time. When we arrived, Carmen and I went towards the banner for the competitors after some good luck hugs, while the others went to the stands to watch us.

The four other competitors were all examining out their mounts, no doubt double checking their hooves and health. They each had a pair of gorgeous looking horses tied in pairs so they could switch at some point during the race to go faster when they cut the other off. To the side, there were two other horses, neither with a second two that would allow a switch. Both of them looked like they had been used in the past to pull carts to and from the markets. Neither were going to win a race. I was somewhat relieved, as Tybalt obviously thought he could just embarrass us by making us lose immediately, but at the same time it would keep Carmen safer by us using those mounts.

But I still needed to win, so these horses wouldn't do.

Tybalt came by as we looked at our horses with dismay, a broad smile on his face. "I picked the finest beasts for you to ride, dear sister. Oh, and Marlyna of course."

"This is the best that you could do?" I asked once my eyes had finished rolling. "I thought this duchy had more of everything."

An elderly man who had the golden sash of a judge came over to interrupt. "Are you almost ready?" he asked everyone.

"Do we have to use these mounts?" I asked. "We have to be able to have a chance, yes?"

The judge just shrugged. "I was informed that you had no mounts of your own, so the host picked for you. If you have a mount, you're more than welcome to use it instead."

I had a sudden idea, and decided to see how well it would work. "So, I could use any mount, it doesn't have to be these horses?"

The judge nodded quickly. "Yes, yes. Any mount you like, though I was told you had none."

"I'm sure you can find a mule or two in the nearby stables," Tybalt said with a snicker. "But as the judge said, any mount you like."

"And can we share one?" I gestured to Carmen to make sure that would be allowed.

The judge thought about it. "It shouldn't matter. There is nothing in the rules against it, though I think it might slow you down."

"I doubt it." I looked Tybalt in the eyes. "Tybalt, did you ever wonder how we got here with no horses, and no ship in your harbor? We did indeed bring a mount, and I think Carmen and I will share her." I sent a quick mental request to Frivadelth and felt her approaching from the harbor.