Chapter 3

I walk into the garden next to my father, watching as the sun begins to descend. For a moment, we both just watch before my father begins to speak.

"How are you?" He asks, turning to look me in the eyes, "How are you really?"

"The adrenaline has yet to wear off yet so I don't have an answer for you just yet" I reply with honesty, "I was asleep for most of the endeavor so I don't have much to process right now. I shot three people but they will live so I am not really concerned for my conscience because they are alive and going home to their families"

"That is one way to look at it" He nods in understanding, "Charlotte was very worried for you, she barely slept and I hardly saw her eat while you were away"

I noticed the dark circles under her eyes when I laid eyes on her but I did not want to mention it until we were alone. She struggles with eating sometimes but I know this situation also holds trauma for her as well, "That worries me"

"I want you to make sure you are mentally well before you continue your marriage preparations. I do not want you to carry that into your new marriage"

"I will make sure to do so" I nod, "To think he lost his life over a contract he wanted to break"

"That is what troubles me" He shakes his head, "That contract was not a bad one for him to want to do that. Someone else had to put him up to that"

"I barely understood that as well" I nod, "He did not mention a partner but he also thought he was getting out of the situation alive"

"Very true. Our lead to figuring it out brought us to a name but we are handling it so you can rest assured that it will not happen again" he says this with certainty and I do not question it. I know my father will do what is needed to protect his family. We end the conversation and I go inside, going up to the room where Charlie is waiting for me. She is naked on her way to the shower so I quickly undress to join her.

"I missed you" I kiss her lips softly, "I feel like I was gone for ages"

"I feel like you were gone for an eternity" she says, I can hear the sadness in her voice, "I did not know what to do while you were away. I was so worried about you coming home safely"

"I'm here now" I wipe the tear that rolls from her eye, "I am here now"

I pull her into a hug as the hot water rolls down our skin, feeling her naked skin against mine reminds me that I am safe. I am home. Charlie is my home. Kiev runs into the bathroom, staring at us in the shower for a moment before running back out.

"Kiev was also worried about you" Charlie chuckles softly, "Thought you were never coming home"

"I will always come home" I smile, kissing her again, "Let's shower so we can relax"

"Okay" she nods, turning away to wash her body and I follow suit. After washing our bodies we get out the shower and dry ourselves, "I honestly was so scared I hardly slept or ate because of the panic attacks and anxiety"

"My dad mentioned" I rub lotion on her back, "That concerns me, my love. Have you spoken to your therapist about this? I know I need to look into one for this situation and I do not want you relapsing on your mental health"

"I discussed it over video call for an emergency session but I have not had the chance to process it completely yet"

"You should" I note, "I am still full of adrenaline right now so I have not processed out much but I want to because I should"

"Don't rush yourself" She warns, "Rushing yourself through emotions is not good and you should take your time on it"

"I will" I kiss the side of her neck, "I promise"