Chapter 9

The next day Ellie returned from the hospital and back to her dorm room on base. The recruits were given the day off after such an exhausting previous day.

Ellie and Phoenix were both okay, just a few cuts and bruises, nothing they couldn't manage.

Ellie started cleaning up some laundry when she heard a knock on her door. She figured it was Phoenix or maybe even Hangman coming to check-in.

She walked over and opened the door and to her surprise she saw Bradley Bradshaw standing on the other side.

Ellie was taken aback. Why was he here? He had barely looked in her direction this whole past week.

"Um...hey?" Ellie awkwardly said. She still hadn't opened the door all the way. Maybe he had the wrong room.

"Hey...uh can I come in?"

Bradley knew she'd be hesitant, and he understood why. He wasn't sure if he was ready to forgive her, but he was at least ready to listen to what she had to say.

"Sure..." 

She opened the door wide enough for him to enter and they stood in awkward silence for a moment.

Ellie was confused. He hadn't spoken to her in three years, had barely even acknowledged her these past couple weeks, and now he just randomly shows up at her door?

Ellie started to move some laundry off of her bed, "We can sit I guess. Here, I'll make some room."

Bradley took a seat on her bed and Ellie followed. She made sure to keep a decent distance between them.

"Thanks." He said.

Their awkward tension filled the room. Ellie did not want to be the one to start the conversion. After all, he came to her. She kept her gaze down at her feet, nervously picking away at the skin around her fingernails.

"So..." Bradley finally said, "You okay?"

Oh. Was he only here to check-in about the crash?

"Um yeah. Thanks. Just some scratches, nothing I can't handle"

There was silence again.

"I talked to your dad." He finally said.

Oh. Shit. Ellie could only imagine how that conversation went.

"Okay..." Ellie didn't really know how to respond, "That's...good?"

"I was really mad at him, Ellie." He paused, "I still am."

She quickly glanced up from her feet. She hadn't heard him acknowledge her by name in 3 years now.

"I know.." She said, still unsure of the conversation that was unfolding. 

She didn't really know what else to say. Was he coming here to apologize? Make amends? She let him keep talking.

"I was really mad at you too." Bradley said. He was still avoiding her gaze.

"Yeah. If I remember correctly you said you hated me."

Silence again. Ellie didn't understand what this was all about. She was starting to get angry, remembering that night all over again. The conversation seemed to be going nowhere. Why was he even here?

"Bradley," she said, finally breaking the silence, "I'm not really sure what you want me to say or why you're even here. You cut me out of your life 3 years ago, you refused to answer my calls, and you've barely acknowledged my existence since we got here."

There was some more awkward silence. If they weren't in Ellie's room she'd be ready to walk out by now. 

But Bradley finally spoke. "I was so angry for so long. I really tried to hate you. Hell, it would have been a lot easier if I did. If I hated both of you. But after yesterday, after such a close call, I realized I don't..."