4.

A D E L I N E ' S
P O V
______________

Julien twisted the knob with a quick notion of her finger, and the radio began playing light music from whatever station it landed on once she began the drive back home. The sound was absent and no motive to open our sealed mouths.

The silence gave me space to reflect but guilt instantly saturated my thoughts. I couldn't help but feel ashamed for allowing Julien to pay for my groceries, as it was something I should have taken care of myself. I speak up about it,

"I could have paid for my groceries."

"Are you complaining about it?" Her face contorts with a look of ire as she lets out a scoff.

"No! I'm really thankful it's just—"

Julien interrupts me from clarifying my spoken thoughts, "I already told you not to worry about it."

Ever since the drive back home, I've noticed a change in her demeanor. She has come to be distant and it makes me wonder if we'll ever be able to develop a closer bond or if she will always see me as nothing more than "Phoebe's sister".

We reached a red light and my focus was drawn towards Julien removing her hands from the steering wheel to take out a box of cigarettes. I watched as she took out a stick and placed it between her lips before blazing it with a lighter.

The smell of cigarettes was always something that repulsed me instantly. Whenever I went to parties during college, the same odor of fumes would be present. Over time, my intolerance to those environments and smells only grew stronger.

I instantly opened my window, hoping the breeze would soothe the need to be sick. She maintains her eyes on me, catching my attention.

"What?" I ask. Julien and I exchange stares, her eyes hidden beneath furrowed brows.

The traffic light soon changes green which robs her concentration from me. She puffs a wave of smoke and leaves her cigarette to dangle on her lips before she places the stick in between her tattooed fingers.

"You for sure are Phoebe's sister."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I can't smoke around you guys," Julien smirks and mashes the butt of the cigarette onto the ashtray that is nestled in the cupholder.

Within a few more minutes, we make it to my house and Julien parks the car in front. She gestures for me to grab the grocery bags and opens the trunk, allowing me to take them out.

As we make our way halfway to the door, I hear Julien's footsteps stop behind me. I turn around to find her lighting another cigarette. She looks up with a gentle gaze and a light chuckle, "Go ahead, I'll go in a few."

I ring the doorbell to then be shortly greeted by my sister, who snatches the bags from my grasp.

"You guys took forever, I'm hungry." Phoebe groans, and I follow her into the kitchen. She places the bags on the table and eagerly starts unpacking them one by one. I glance around the room to come to realize Lucy is nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Lucy?"

"She's in the restroom but it doesn't matter—how did it go with Julien?" My annoying sister throws me off with her urgency to interrogate me.

"It went great." I plastered a fake smile, concealing my dishonesty. Phoebe lightly claps and beams at me, making it worthwhile to let her hear what she would have liked.