Chapter 2 // Calum

There was so much preparation for the next day that when I arrived back to my house from lessons I had to get right to planning.

I washed, ironed, showered, sprayed, rehearsed, ate the evening meal and before I had a moment to catch my breath or talk to my parents or little sister, it was curfew.

I dragged myself up the stairs and into my room. I wearily undressed and climbed under the covers.

After the usual evening notice of curfew boomed over the PA system installed in every house in the community I was left in silence with the most deadly weapon in our world.

My thoughts.

"Don't think too much." Calum's teachers had told him.

"Why think," they had asked,
"when your whole life is planned out for you?"

It was true. Not only did the Chamber plan out your entire life, they basically gave you a key on how to live the longest life. Actually living the longest was turned into a sort of silent competition. Whoever lives the longest gets to brag about it to all their dead friends. Calum thought and laughed to himself at the pettiness of it all.

Well. Calum thought, Maybe I don't want to live the longest life.

Maybe I want to live the fullest.

And in that moment, Calum disabled the safety on a rifle in his head.

OK BUT THAT LAST PART WAS DEEP ASF BUT OMG I FINALLY UPDATED HOLY SHIT, SORRY THIS IS A FILLER BUT NOBODY READS THIS ANYWAYS LOL BYE.