Chapter 8: Joseph

I've been trying to get in contact with Mark for the past 20 minutes and still no answer from him. I haven't slept well since that strange dream I had that day and I've been for the first time prescribed with sleeping pills; in which it only helps' with alcohol in my system.
Besides my sleeping schedule being completely shit I got other things to stress about and it's precisely because my father has now sent me my future to-be partners' information.
As expected the girls name is "Crystal" and not only is her name unique and beautiful but she also looks exactly like a beautiful crystal. She comes from both a well known American and Russian company in which it also does economically well and that's key in high class society companies. Not only is the company doing economically well but it's financially doing well as well.
It's no wonder why my father chose her.
Aside from that we hadn't had messages from the person pretending to be Zoe and that should be a good sign. We didn't have any updates regarding the person behind all of this either which again should be a good sing but we can't just jump to conclusions because this person can already be a step ahead of us.
Tomorrow is Monday and I'm going to make sure to find any possible suspect and start from there. I'll make sure to let Mark know about my plans and make sure he doesn't let his guards down; which I doubt he needs to get reminded again.
My current concern besides it being Zoe is Mark not answering my calls. It's not the first time but it's unusual for him to not answer at least a messages or call.
I'll give him 5 more minutes. Meanwhile I'll get myself a cup of water cause this headache is killing me. I didn't even get the chance to get a cup of water when my phone rang.
Mark of course.
"Why haven't you been answering my calls?" I said clearly annoyed.
"I really hope you can forgive me I didn't mean to keep my wife so so worried" Mark said clearly enjoying himself.
I gripped my phone "Cut the bullshit Mark and answer my question" I responded furiously.
"I was out running." Mark said.
Bullshit.
"I'm on my way back though" he said before finalizing the call.
    Fucking Mark.
    Going back to Crystal and her background information. She's two year younger than me making her 22 years old. Knows a total of 4 languages besides English and Russian. She's an only daughter as well. She is a very joyful and bright young woman to those who deserve that side of her. Beautiful blue with gray round eyes with long wavy blonde hair strapped down her shoulders.
      She looks young considering her age. Seriously, how do woman make themselves look younger than they are? I don't understand how.

     15 minutes later

      After going through more of a Crystals information I eventually ordered her a 3 million rare gray and blue crystal necklace as a first gift. I made sure that the necklace would arrive before an event she will be assisting with her father later this week.
      Based on an article that was published she mentions that she's always been a spoiled daughter and has never wore a necklace or any type of jewelry under 2 million since day of birth. Not to mention her gifts have to be worth 3 million or more; nothing above that.
      I'm just relieved she's a spoiled brat with an incredible education and manners. I have no interest whatsoever in her because this is simply how business and alliances work in our world. Beautiful innocent Crystal, if only she knew that she means nothing to me. I'll marry her and produce an heir for both families sakes and get the job done.
      To do that I'll have to avoid distractions even if it means letting go of certain girl I know I can't have or even protect. Getting involved with her can jeopardize her life and she surely doesn't deserve to have a guy like me in her life at all. A part of me wants to get involved with her. Part of me wants to get to know her. Part of me wants to be able to go out and talk to her without having to worry of obligations. Part of me wants to know why I'm suddenly so obsessed with her.        
     It's getting hard to breathe. Shit.
    Im afraid of loving someone again. Im afraid that if I do end up wanting her I'll end up making the same mistake again. I'm afraid she'll have the same faith as she did...

8 years ago
What a nice breeze I thought to myself. We rarely have days like these in Russia. I wish it could last forever but unfortunately that's not how things work in this cruel world. By simply closing your eyes feels amazing....that scent again, cotton candy with a hint of honey...Isabella. I smiled as I heard her lay down next to me as she grabbed my hand tightly. Without saying anything we laid down in silence, enjoying the moment. Just two clueless in love teenagers facing the unfortunate world together. I opened my eyes and faced her; beautiful wavy light brown hair laying effortlessly on the grass as she smiled with her eyes closed just enjoying the warmth of the weather. As she opened her beautiful light green eyes she faced me eventually getting caught as I admired her. I smiled as she smiled back at me as she said something I couldn't understand. Of course she said something I couldn't comprehend in British English. Again, knowing that I still don't understand what she's saying and she knows that. Whatever she said I got close to her as I kissed her forehead telling her that I love her so much.

Tears fell from my eyes as memories of her came rushing through my mind. I still carry that memory in my heart, but I carry more than guilt in my heart and mind and forever will.
As I stood up to wipe my tears I managed to see that my eyes were now red.
Fuck.
I left upstairs to grab my pack of cigarettes I had left on my desk. As I walked down the stairs with pain in my eyes I got to the door. As I reached to open the door I opened it and saw my worst fear standing in front of me, Zoe. I looked at her as she looked at me with a worried expression on her face. No....don't look at me like that angel or else it'll be impossible for me to avoid you.
"Joseph...a-are you okay?..."